Chicken Deworming Protocols

Not a lot of help, but my plan is to grab a fresh poop and whisk it off to one of the only two vets in town that see chickens. Then deworm as needed if the fecal shows something. Now I just need to manage to see a poop happen when I have a few hours to run it across town. Vet said chicken intestinal tracts are very different than other animals and it really needs to be within a couple of hours to be accurate. Incidentally, they also said they'd have to actually SEE the chicken to prescribe anything if it did have worms, but figured I could find appropriate drugs to order online if I need to treat something. Some people feel ok with a minor worm load in an otherwise healthy chicken but I have little kids that still put things in their mouth and would prefer to be worm free to the extent possible.

Worming never removes all worms. The ones left behind are resistant to whatever wormer you used. You will never have worm free chickens as even eating an earthworm or a snail can give them worms. We put all kinds of stuff in our mouths as kids and I'm pretty sure I've eaten lots of dirt and poop in passing, and have survived it.
1f61c.png

Not a lot of help, but my plan is to grab a fresh poop and whisk it off to one of the only two vets in town that see chickens. Then deworm as needed if the fecal shows something. Now I just need to manage to see a poop happen when I have a few hours to run it across town. Vet said chicken intestinal tracts are very different than other animals and it really needs to be within a couple of hours to be accurate. Incidentally, they also said they'd have to actually SEE the chicken to prescribe anything if it did have worms, but figured I could find appropriate drugs to order online if I need to treat something. Some people feel ok with a minor worm load in an otherwise healthy chicken but I have little kids that still put things in their mouth and would prefer to be worm free to the extent possible.

Grab a chicken throw it in the back seat of your car, drive to the vet. I can pretty much guarantee by the time you get to the vets office you'll have fresh poop in the back seat for the doctor to examine. If not take the chicken into the vets office and place it on the reception counter and wait for it to poop it shouldn't take long. By doing it this way you'll also have the chicken for the doctor to see also, so the doctor can prescribe the needed meds based on your chickens' feather color and weight.

No need to thank me though... i'm just trying to save you some time and gas by consolidating your activities... we all know how prescious time is these days :)

Last edited:
Would be interested to know what your vet finds...
-type of worms.
-counts of eggs and/or adults
-type of treatment
-withdrawals recommended
-advice regarding resistance

I would think that avian parasites could not survive in mammals bodies.....
.....with kids you have more to worry about with Salmonella and E.coli, make sure they wash their hands and shoes.
Do you plan to free range?

But did you get a fecal done to know whether they actually had worms?
Did you look at any other reasons the eggs were poopy.....mine just track the poop in on their feet then step all over the eggs.
Until a problem is specifically identified, and other causes succinctly eliminated, any 'cure' applied with apparent effectiveness is inconsequential.  

I think i heard you say im pissing in the wind over here. Hey thats ok... as long as i piss down wind then it dont get all over my boots.

And if you get upset by my attempt of humor, all i can say is more power to you :)

Would be interested to know what your vet finds...
-type of worms.
-counts of eggs and/or adults
-type of treatment
-withdrawals recommended 
-advice regarding resistance

I would think that avian parasites could not survive in mammals bodies.....
.....with kids you have more to worry about with Salmonella and E.coli, make sure they wash their hands and shoes.
Do you plan to free range?

Apparently chickens get roundworms and tapeworms, which people can also get. I didn't research much farther than that--I'm sure there are more varieties!
1f642.png

No free ranging for us--suburbs and kids sharing backyard, plus chickens already have a good chunk of it!

Okay I am a newbie to the world of chicken ownership. I have 10 silver lace Wyandotte hens that are approximately going on 4 months old as well as 2 ducks. They are on crumble feed that is grower mixed with layer in the process of switching completely to layer (they also get scratch grain more as a daily treat and kitchen scraps - have also watched them kill and eat a mouse that was quite the massacre to witness that's a story for another day lol). I have my dogs, horses, and barn cats all on their own deworming protocols per species but I am curious if my 10 chickens and 2 ducks should be on some sort of protocol as well. I assume they get parasites just the same as any other critter and I also am aware they can get coccidiosis.

Now as far as deworming methods/products I am more so interested in veterinary approved/recommended methods vs the homeopathic type but will take all recommendations into consideration. Would love if someone's recommendations are actually what their vet told them to do (we have zero vets in our area that deal with chickens).
There is only one FDA approved wormer for laying hens, it's hygromycin B, which is what's in "Booster Wormer Triple Action". Wazine is approved for meat birds, as is fenbendazole at a very low dose.

There are plenty of other drugs that can be used "off label", but don't confuse "off label" with banned.
big_smile.png

-Kathy

Chickens aren't longed lived enough to worry about deworming unless you actually see there's a problem. Most animals shouldn't be wormed on a schedule anymore as it makes worms resistant to wormers and many no longer work. I have never wormed any of my chickens and don't believe it's necessary under most circumstances.
I beg to differ. This is a necropsy picture of a 3 month old free ranged chick that was looking a little off.

-Kathy

In the UK

Panacur AquaSol 200 mg/ml oral suspension for use in drinking water for pigs and chickens

Species:Pigs, Chickens

Therapeutic indication:Pharmaceuticals: Endoparasiticides: Anthelmintics for pigs, Anthelmintics for poultry
Active ingredient:Fenbendazole
Product:Panacur
00ae.png
AquaSol

200 mg/ml oral suspension for use in drinking water for pigs and chickens
Product index:Panacur AquaSol

Pig - meat:4 days
Poultry - meat:6 days
Poultry - eggs:Zero days

Back
Top Bottom