Chicken died with no symptoms

Wineart

Chirping
5 Years
Apr 16, 2015
San Jose, CA.
Hi All, I lost a chicken today. I have not noticed anything wrong with her except that her comb looked a bit floppy to one side and dry. It was not dark at all. She was super active and healthy over the weekend when free ranging. Any ideas? I am a bit freaked out right now for my other 3 girls ;o/

Was she laying? Sudden death can be from different things. Here are a couple of possibilities.

Sometimes an egg bound hen can die if not treated for egg binding within 24 hours. They will typically show some subtle symptoms. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/egg-binding-symptoms-treatment-and-prevention
Other possibilities are heart attack.
http://www.motherearthnews.com/homesteading-and-livestock/sudden-chicken-death-zbcz1404.aspx

Sometimes there is no way of finding out without an necropsy.

She was laying and had an egg yesterday so I don't think it was egg bound. I read up on the heart attack but she was not found keeled over. She was snuggled into a corner of the coop. So, it was almost like she had been not feeling well. Ugh, I just have no idea ;o(

I'm very sorry for your loss
hugs.gif

And there really is no way to know unless you were to have a necropsy done, it could be any one of many things. You have probably already buried her but for future ref, since you are here in CA you can get one done for free by the state poultry pathology labs. Here is a site with the locations. If you are not near one you can contact them for their FedEx account number and ship a bird to them. www.vetmed.ucdavis.edu/cahfs/services/lab_locations.cfm

Last edited:
I would suggest a necropsy if possible. Have you noticed any weight loss in any of the birds? Snot? Lethargic? Birds are notorious for hiding symptoms if they don't feel good because of the pecking order. I just got a scale in the mail today and will start weighing mine.

Back
Top Bottom