is my rooster dying?

Groovvychic

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2024
BTW, I am a new chicken farmer so my post may seem dramatic to some of you who are more experienced, so I apologize in advance :).

Over the last week or so we have noticed our big red rooster seeming to not feel well. It started with 1 of his eyes being closed - we thought maybe there was a fight & he got injured? A day or so later we noticed that he wasn't moving much at all - he has always been very active & the stud of the group. Then noticed he just stands around with his eyes closed - like he is sleeping, doesn't seem to eat or drink much. Today I noticed a lot of yellow poop stuck to his back side however, he came out of the pen & seems to be eating a little bit. We have not noticed any blood in poop. His comb does seem to be not so bright anymore

Any ideas - how do I help him?

BTW, I am a new chicken farmer so my post may seem dramatic to some of you who are more experienced, so I apologize in advance :).

Over the last week or so we have noticed our big red rooster seeming to not feel well. It started with 1 of his eyes being closed - we thought maybe there was a fight & he got injured? A day or so later we noticed that he wasn't moving much at all - he has always been very active & the stud of the group. Then noticed he just stands around with his eyes closed - like he is sleeping, doesn't seem to eat or drink much. Today I noticed a lot of yellow poop stuck to his back side however, he came out of the pen & seems to be eating a little bit. We have not noticed any blood in poop. His comb does seem to be not so bright anymore

Any ideas - how do I help him?
What do you feed?

It is Ranch Pro Fancy Scratch Feed Grains. Something that was recommended either by Atwoods or Tractor Supply. Is it ok?
I don't believe you should feed chickens scratch grains as their only meal source. An all flock feed from Purina or Nutrena or Kalmbach would be better :).

1712591078540.png
picture copied from chewy.com

just search all flock feed or look for it at your local feed store

I cannot believe that people at feed stores are actually recommending for people to feed their poultry scratch.

I agree with the above that they should not be eating scratch grains daily if ever.
I would switch to a pelleted or crumbled feed immediately.

I don't believe you should feed chickens scratch grains as their only meal source. An all flock feed from Purina or Nutrena or Kalmbach would be better :).

View attachment 3795304 picture copied from chewy.com

just search all flock feed or look for it at your local feed store
thank you!! going now
I cannot believe that people at feed stores are actually recommending for people to feed their poultry scratch.

I agree with the above that they should not be eating scratch grains daily if ever.
I would switch to a pelleted or crumbled feed immediately.
thank you

It is Ranch Pro Fancy Scratch Feed Grains. Something that was recommended either by Atwoods or Tractor Supply. Is it ok?
Scratch Grains are a treat, & great for putting fat on chickens you plan to finish before butchering. Keeps them juicy for roasting.
It's not good to feed as a main diet.

Back
Top Bottom