is my rooster dying?

Groovvychic

In the Brooder
Apr 7, 2024
BTW, I am a new chicken farmer so my post may seem dramatic to some of you who are more experienced, so I apologize in advance :).

Over the last week or so we have noticed our big red rooster seeming to not feel well. It started with 1 of his eyes being closed - we thought maybe there was a fight & he got injured? A day or so later we noticed that he wasn't moving much at all - he has always been very active & the stud of the group. Then noticed he just stands around with his eyes closed - like he is sleeping, doesn't seem to eat or drink much. Today I noticed a lot of yellow poop stuck to his back side however, he came out of the pen & seems to be eating a little bit. We have not noticed any blood in poop. His comb does seem to be not so bright anymore

Any ideas - how do I help him?

It is Ranch Pro Fancy Scratch Feed Grains. Something that was recommended either by Atwoods or Tractor Supply. Is it ok?
I don't believe you should feed chickens scratch grains as their only meal source. An all flock feed from Purina or Nutrena or Kalmbach would be better :).

1712591078540.png
picture copied from chewy.com

just search all flock feed or look for it at your local feed store

I cannot believe that people at feed stores are actually recommending for people to feed their poultry scratch.

I agree with the above that they should not be eating scratch grains daily if ever.
I would switch to a pelleted or crumbled feed immediately.

It is Ranch Pro Fancy Scratch Feed Grains. Something that was recommended either by Atwoods or Tractor Supply. Is it ok?
Scratch Grains are a treat, & great for putting fat on chickens you plan to finish before butchering. Keeps them juicy for roasting.
It's not good to feed as a main diet.

I don't believe you should feed chickens scratch grains as their only meal source. An all flock feed from Purina or Nutrena or Kalmbach would be better :).

View attachment 3795304 picture copied from chewy.com

just search all flock feed or look for it at your local feed store
thank you!! going now
I cannot believe that people at feed stores are actually recommending for people to feed their poultry scratch.

I agree with the above that they should not be eating scratch grains daily if ever.
I would switch to a pelleted or crumbled feed immediately.
thank you

BTW, I am a new chicken farmer so my post may seem dramatic to some of you who are more experienced, so I apologize in advance :).

Over the last week or so we have noticed our big red rooster seeming to not feel well. It started with 1 of his eyes being closed - we thought maybe there was a fight & he got injured? A day or so later we noticed that he wasn't moving much at all - he has always been very active & the stud of the group. Then noticed he just stands around with his eyes closed - like he is sleeping, doesn't seem to eat or drink much. Today I noticed a lot of yellow poop stuck to his back side however, he came out of the pen & seems to be eating a little bit. We have not noticed any blood in poop. His comb does seem to be not so bright anymore

Any ideas - how do I help him?
What do you feed?

Back
Top Bottom