Chicken Dinner

horsesNchicks

Songster
5 Years
Jun 9, 2017
High Desert of California
I am processing my first CX batch next week and want the first meal to be special. We usually cut up a chicken and throw it on the grill but I want our first homegrown chicken dinner to be special. What's your favorite chicken dinner recipe?
Thanks so much

Congrats! Butchering is never fun. But after a few days the feast is always awesome! I have two favorites.... The first is Spatchcock chicken.... it's best cooked with indirect heat, grill or smoker either. Cut up both sides of the backbone and pop breast bone it's easy to do. This let's the bird lay flat and cook evenly. I rub the skin with olive oil and give a good coating of a rub you like.. Cover the whole bird with rub the night before cooking.... I use "Smoke'n Guns" hot.... it's not really hot once it's cooked.... if cooking indirect, cooking skin side down will yield a juicier bird.
IMG_8470.JPG

The second is simple BBQ chicken parts.... legs and thighs always great.

IMG_9494.JPG

If you happen to have one or know anyone who has one of those Ron Popeil (sp?) "set it and forget it" rotisseries try that. That is my absolute favorite way to have chicken (rotisserie). I just rub with salt and pepper before cooking and that is it. (You can also stuff with apples, herbs, etc but I find I don't really need to go to all the trouble).

The other favorite is to spatchcock the bird (as Fat Daddy posted above) and grill it. I grill a bit differently though- salt and pepper the bird, then put a metal tray of water on the grill. Then place a metal rack on top of the water tray and place the bird flesh side down on the water tray/rack combo. Turn the grill up high to like 475 or so. Put the lid down and cook until done. The skin should come out crisp and the flesh super moist. Seems odd to put a tray of water in the grill but it works fantastically. Also, the fat drips into the water tray and avoids flare ups.

Damn that looks good!
Thanks, it was very tasty.

Drink a little beer out of the can, put in the seasoning you want. I used Jerk seasoning for this one. Smother the outside of the bird in the seasoning and shove the beer can up the hole. Stuffed the neck end with lemons and mango trying to get them around the can to.

Indirect heat for a few hours. Lots of apple wood chunks mixed in with the charcoal.

Damn that Spatchcock chicken looks amazing..I was about to go the kitchen after reading the post but thought I'll thank your first. Now I'm off to the kitchen

Back
Top Bottom