Chicken dying?

xChickrenMamax

Chirping
Nov 24, 2020
One of my girls may be passing? I’m not sure but she’s been weird lately. Last two nights she’s been laying on the lowest roost I have a little up off the ground.
However she’s been doing her own thing ever since she stopped laying eggs. She has a big fluffy coat and seems to take care of herself but tonight I came home and she was sleeping outside I’m the pen vs in the coop with the others. She allowed me to pick her right up and fell sound asleep in my arms. I placed her down in the coop on the floor to see if she’d go to the roost and she stayed still, a little wobbly but stayed. I have her in a bin inside with me now because we’re expecting colder temps and I just don’t know but my gut says something is wrong. Help!

Here are a bunch of questions; tell us what you know.

How old is she?
When did she last lay an egg?
Does her crop empty overnight?
What do you feed, including any treats?
Can you get a picture of her poop? (Not gross, it can tell a lot about a chicken's health.)
Has she been eating/drinking ok?

How old is she? I got them in June 2020
When did she last lay an egg? I honestly don’t know, it’s been A WHILE
Does her crop empty overnight? I’m not sure I never thought to even check that
What do you feed, including any treats? Crumble in the winter along with scratch grains and meal worms. Along with stuff such as corn, bread, lettuce etc.
Can you get a picture of her poop? (Not gross, it can tell a lot about a chicken's health.) I don’t have any right now but will monitor and send in an update. I know in general the poop droppings in the coop vary between watery consistency or hard
Has she been eating/drinking ok? I feel like a horrible mother, they’re all the same color and look the same but she’s always fluffed and super soft I don’t know if she eats crumble or drinks but I know in the morning when I toss scratch and meal worms she will go after it. That’s what alerted me tonight I got home before dark for once and was throwing some meal worms before bedtime and she ran over but stood there looking while the others went after it and she looked like she went to peck something but stopped and then she was closing her eyes which made me nervous

How old is she?
When did she last lay an egg?
Does her crop empty overnight?
What do you feed, including any treats?
Can you get a picture of her poop? (Not gross, it can tell a lot about a chicken's health.)
Has she been eating/drinking ok?
I tried to respond to the above the best I could but my phone wasn’t cooperating please let me know if there’s any other info I can give that may help, I appreciate the time!

I would feel of her crop to see if it is empty and flat, full, firm, doughy, or puffy. Tell us what you feel. Then check it early morning before she eats or drinks to see if it empties overnight. I would offer her some Poultry NutriDrench 2 ml orally, or give her some Gatorade, Pedialyte, or sugar water, 1 tsp per cup. Offer some scrambled egg and wet chicken feed. What does her poop look like? Is her tail down? Can you post a picture when able?

I posted one of her originally standing up but she just settled down and is now laying
Should I leave her or still feel her crop?
I’ve had one of the girls of this flock die of sudden death syndrome last summer so I’m extremely afraid to bother them while they’re in deep slumbers

Attachments

• 8946D50D-B364-4AC6-81E8-C453D9E37D01.jpeg
    8946D50D-B364-4AC6-81E8-C453D9E37D01.jpeg
    553.4 KB · Views: 6
  • FFF7E871-AD4B-4368-8736-D0A5F03627E6.jpeg
    FFF7E871-AD4B-4368-8736-D0A5F03627E6.jpeg
    570 KB · Views: 6
Can you get some clearer pictures in good light of the poops? We need to see the color and it is hard to see in your picture. Can you answer more of the questions in post 2? Is she eating or drinking today? Can she stand up and walk?

Back
Top Bottom