Chicken eye pecked out. What do I do?

I wanted to update. I didn’t get all the pus out so it wound up even worse. She seemed awful today. Was thinking about culling. I cried. I told my husband to take her out to tell her friends goodbye before he did it. Then I decided I would try to flush instead of rinse the eye. So I did. With about 10 oz of saline, a giant syringe; I started pushing and pulling gently with tweezers and qtips. Finally got the mass of pus out. I originally thought it was swelling and didn’t realize it was pus. But the eye is normal size now. No swelling at all. She still has her eye! In the middle of the pus was a black thing. Looks like a stick or something got in her eye. I’ve given her some frozen corn, a spa bath, a clean cage and vitamin B12. She’s eating and drinking happily. I will watch her closely. Not sure if I should continue to flush and put neosporin on it 2x per day but I guess I’ll figure it out. I am actually really proud that it worked out this way. I didn’t think I had the stomach or that I could take care of something like that. But God really is good!!! Just in the nick of time; He directed me.

Then I decided I would try to flush instead of rinse the eye. So I did. With about 10 oz of saline, a giant syringe; I started pushing and pulling gently with tweezers and qtips. Finally got the mass of pus out. I originally thought it was swelling and didn’t realize it was pus. But the eye is normal size now. No swelling at all. She still has her eye! In the middle of the pus was a black thing. Looks like a stick or something got in her eye.
Awesome....Congrats!
How big was the piece of 'stick'...pics?
If that was the cause, she should start improving quickly.

Back
Top Bottom