Chicken fence help please

GetFitWithKrista

Chirping
Mar 18, 2023
New Jersey
Hi all,

We're getting ready to build our chicken coop. We've got a nice run space but I want to be able to let them free rangeI.

I have a 3 "wall" fenced area. The non fenced area consists of our shed with a 10 foot space that is open and then our deck. We would need a barrier there. There is also a 5 foot area between the back of our shed and our fence.

We could add another fence piece but I wanted something a little simpler, I guess. I would like something that looks nice and has a gate. Do you have any suggestions?

I found this:
https://a.co/d/4VsQGKP

Hopefully they won't be able to fly over?

Last edited:
So if I read correctly, you want to open this up and use it to fence off an area? Smaller/lighter birds can easily clear 6'.
Yes that's right - open it up and block the area but I need a gate to get in and out. These are my breeds, arriving in June as pullets. What are your thoughts on their flying capabilities?

1 Dark Brahma
2 Easter Eggers
1 Cream Legbar
1 Olive Egger

Yes that's right - open it up and block the area but I need a gate to get in and out. These are my breeds, arriving in June as pullets. What are your thoughts on their flying capabilities?

1 Dark Brahma
2 Easter Eggers
1 Cream Legbar
1 Olive Egger
Brahmas fly like a rock. Most EEs I've seen (really depends on the mix they have in them) are on the slender side so they can get some lift. Legbars are light birds, OEs (depending again on the mix) can be pretty light as well. I've seen my OE pop into the air and hit the netting which is about 6' up.

Brahmas fly like a rock. Most EEs I've seen (really depends on the mix they have in them) are on the slender side so they can get some lift. Legbars are light birds, OEs (depending again on the mix) can be pretty light as well. I've seen my OE pop into the air and hit the netting which is about 6' up.
This is really going to be a problem. We have 3 foot fencing all around. Dumb question but will chickens put themselves in danger? My neighbor has a dog. Would the dog deter them from going over the fence or would they go over anyway?

This is really going to be a problem. We have 3 foot fencing all around. Dumb question but will chickens put themselves in danger? My neighbor has a dog. Would the dog deter them from going over the fence or would they go over anyway?
Not sure if a dog is much of a deterrent... most likely they'll just get accustomed to the fact that the dog is there and not think of it as a threat unless one of them gets mauled (chickens, not always the brightest of animals).

I have 3 dogs and the chickens seem to like the one that's most curious-friendly towards them, so they'll run to the fence to greet him even if my least friendly dog is charging at the same fence.

Is this fencing all yours? You could look into doing something similar to this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-prison-completed.1570698/ - this should work as chickens most often will fly up, land, and then jump over, rather than fly over a fence in one go. The combination of mesh and a backward slant on it makes it harder for them to land on the fence, and makes it harder for them to fly over the fence in general because they're more likely to hit the mesh.

Not sure if a dog is much of a deterrent... most likely they'll just get accustomed to the fact that the dog is there and not think of it as a threat unless one of them gets mauled (chickens, not always the brightest of animals).

I have 3 dogs and the chickens seem to like the one that's most curious-friendly towards them, so they'll run to the fence to greet him even if my least friendly dog is charging at the same fence.

Is this fencing all yours? You could look into doing something similar to this: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/chicken-prison-completed.1570698/ - this should work as chickens most often will fly up, land, and then jump over, rather than fly over a fence in one go. The combination of mesh and a backward slant on it makes it harder for them to land on the fence, and makes it harder for them to fly over the fence in general because they're more likely to hit the mesh.

The fence is not ours but I'm sure our neighbors wouldn't mind us adjusting a bit, as long as we're not damaging their fence.

I have read that if we clip their flying wings, they might stay close?

Back
Top Bottom