Chicken flock attacked

Thank you everyone for your replies. I just lost one of my girls. I am utterly devestaed. I haven’t stopped crying since she passed about 2 hours ago. I’m a wreck.

The coon got them while they were free ranging.

I have a large dog crate that I was going to put next to the run and have the babies in there while my girl is in her run. I do think she’ll like the company. She has some visible wounds so I’m hesitant to add the new birds I don’t want them pecking her.

Yay! Happy to hear it. I had a fox attack once, and hours later found a bird who escaped the fenced in pasture and hid in the tool shed. I found her in there and she was so stoic I almost didn't notice her.

As for your integration. I would proceed as you would normally with integrating. Let them see eachother through cage/fence. Then slowly merge. The 2 lone chickens will most likely happily accept the company... they'll still have the normal pecking order routine. But overall they will be happier with more companions.

For the racoon. Did you get it? If not, get a box trap and put some raw chicken in it. It's worked for me in the past, but make sure it has a good drop down door, I've had raccoon escape box traps before. Takes them awhile, but with enough time, they can eventually squirm their way out.
Racoons are the worst! Kill like a feral cat...

Back
Top Bottom