Chicken gurgling

Although yogurt has probiotics in it this one is supposed to be very good http://www.amazon.com/Vet-Plus-Prob...e=UTF8&qid=1384656333&sr=8-1&keywords=probios and there are many probitoic capsules that can also be used. Tetracycline can be used for up to 14 days, but you should be able to tell if it is working by 1 week. If it isn't doing the job, maybe try Tylan, clortetracycline, oxytetracycline, or Gallimycin.

She is sounding much worse this morning. I think I might see if I can get some tylan around here and start her on that. She loves yogurt so that won't be an issue. Thanks so much for all of your help!!

Sorry that she is worse. Start her on Tylan50 which is injectable into the breast muscle--dose is 1/2 to 1 cc/ml for 3-5 days. Some give this orally also, but give the higher dose and be careful not to choke her. For syringes and needles, you want 22 gauge and 3 cc/ml.

I got the tylan and soaked 3/4 ml into a tiny piece of bread. She are most of it! Is that a bad approach? I was nervous about the injection and figured I would try to get it orally first. I am also keeping her inside while the rest of her friends are out free ranging. She has energy to get upset at that! Haha! I will get her another dose tomorrow morning and hopefully within a couple days here he gurgles and coughs will lessen.
If I should do the injections breast is better than neck? And I just go a 1/4" in or so so that it's just under her skin right? And once a day is the right frequency?
I can't tell you how much I appreciate your help. First infection for my girls. Thankful it's just the one bird so far!

You're welcome. Sounds like a good way to give the meds. Giving Tylan into the muscle in the breast, the needle is inserted 1/2 to 3/4 inch straight in to the fattest part of the breast muscle. Rotate sides of breast daily. Since Tylan is for intramuscular use, I wouldn't use it subcutaneously (under the skin) in the neck, but some people do this with success. Injecting under the skin is 1/4 inch after pinching the skin up, and go straight in. There are many posts online about giving injections to a chicken. For IM injections in a chicken a 22 gauge 3/4-1 inch needle is best, unless it is penicillin which is very thick, then a larger needle (20 or 18 gauge) may be necessary. For SQ injections a 25 gauge 5/8 inch needle is used.

Last edited:
I am hoping it doesn't get to the injections if the bread method works. She sounds just awful down there but I guess I just have to wait and hope the tylan kicks in overnight! Nothing more I can do. Thanks again for the help.

The tylan did the trick for both hens who were sick. They both received the injections and after about 3 days the gurgling subsided and they recovered! If you have a gurgler I would definitely segregate her and get her on the antibiotics immediately. Is it just one for now?

Yes just one hen, I've separated her from the flock. She seems to be resting easy and a bit less gurgley, hoping I don't have to use Tylan.

Keep a close eye. Mine went down fast. At least she's separated and won't infect anyone else. I was told to completely clean the coop to make sure no infection was still there. Was NOT an easy task and I at least had above freezing weather. I don't know if it's even possible for you but a suggestion if she is indeed sick to keep the others safe. I hope she gets better!

Back
Top Bottom