chicken has balance issues and blue comb

normanack

Crowing
11 Years
Apr 15, 2012
Michigan, USA
1, Chicken: Miriam: Rhode Island Red hen, about 4 years old, normal weight, in backyard flock of 16 chickens, walk-in coop and (guessing) 30 x 40 foot fenced and netted chicken yard

2. Behavior: Yesterday, slightly wobbly on her legs, otherwise fine: eating, drinking, doing normal chicken things with the flock. This morning, staggering but managing to walk. Walks "like a drunk." Points of her comb are now blue. Still eating and participating in the flock.

3. How Long Symptoms: 18 hours

4. No other bird exhibiting symptoms

5. No bleeding, injury, broken bones, or other signs of trauma

6. Cannot think of anything that has happened that may be causing this behavior.

7. Food: Commercial laying-flock feed available 24 hours, multiple water sources available 24 hours, and cleaned daily; approximately a tablespoon of scratch + sunflower seeds per bird every morning; occasional produce, most recently zucchini squash from organic garden yesterday morning

8. Have not identified poop specifically from her yet.

9. Topical Ivermectin, 4 drops, approximately 4 hours from onset, after reading that worms can sometimes cause wobbly legs. Flock has not been wormed in approximately 6 months. I have noticed a roundworm in a dropping possibly twice a month.

10. Treatment: prefer to treat myself as money is a real problem. Vet available but typical bill in the past $90 - $150; we might have enough if we skip some bills but definitely a difficult option.

11. Newly blue-tipped comb only visual change

12. Walk-in coop, sand-covered tables under roosts cleaned daily, dirt floor bedded with chopped leaves fully cleaned twice a year, doesn't seem to need more because flock is outside every day (by choice; coop door is open all day) unless it's snowing or raining really hard

I'm extremely grateful for any help. My birds are pets and every one is special to me. Miriam is my friendliest bird, following me around and "talking" to me while I clean the coop.

I'm so sorry. This probably isn't something you'll be able to fix. It could be neuro toxin poisoning or a brain tumor or tumors throughout.

The best thing to try to do is determine what toxin might be responsible so other chickens don't get into it. At first glance, you won't see anything. It may require a couple of days of walking the entire area the flock ranges over and over to spot it.

Look for machinery leaking fluids onto the soil. Poison mushrooms or plants with colorful berries. Moldy feed or compost. Soil where paint thinner was disposed of after cleaning paint brushes, etc.

It may also be an avian virus that causes tumors. A virus can lurk in a flock for years before a chicken turns up symptomatic. For this reason, it's important to know if this is what is making this hen sick. If she dies, a necropsy will tell you what virus is present so you can take steps to deal with it going forward. Ask the vet where they can recommend this be done.

Meanwhile, about the only thing you might try is vitamins to try to mitigate neurological damage. Vitamin E 400iu and selenium (half a tab) also B1 or B complex.

I wish I could give you more hope.:hugs

I have to agree - I’m sorry. I am also a hospice RN and one of the things the body does naturally as the dying process starts( and I hate this to sound so cold and “clinical” but this is written not speaking and not face to face) is to stop sendings blood to the “ non essential “ areas of the body- hence, the extremities- hands, feet- in this case the comb, perhaps the toes and tongue... the lethargy will continue as the build up of chemicals grows as she cannot normally expel them via her lungs/liver/ kidneys etc. I would separate her from the flock and give her what we call “ supportive care- quiet environment, warm temperatures( if it’s cool where you are or if hot the try to keep it a comfortable temp) if she can still drink water offer it to her, if not, just take a clean rag, dip in clean water squeeze excess and gently wipe her beak, she may have her tongue out and allow you to wipe her tongue- don’t give so much water that it is dripping- she could choke and you don’t want that. If by chance you can’t for whatever reason do this, that’s ok too- just remove her from flock, place her in a quiet comfortable area safe from predators maybe lay an old towel, (as most of us be animal or human do evacuate stool/urine before we die) and let Nature take its course.
Your flock will be very quiet when she dies- somehow they KNOW even if the bird is in another area away from them, they know and my girls are usually very quiet the whole day all day..... when your poor girl does pass- you’ll know- find a place to bury her- we have our own area of cats/dogs/ birds and birds and even my sons hairless rat..... We have concrete statues around the areas- as mementos of our “ babies”. I am so very sorry for your loss, truly I am- and I’m certain that the rest of the community grieves with you. This time of year, up until and passed Christmas there is an increase in deaths- animal and human. The old times say that du to the winter coming those not strong enough to survive are leaving so that those who will survive can have enough to survive.... who knows? All I can say is that I am so very very sorry for your loss. I didn’t mean to be so “ wordy” but not many people realize the process of death, and loosing a beloved animal is usually the first time folks have to deal with death. I am merely trying to educate all that death, like birth, is a process which each of us will go through and like birth, death is unique to each of us as well. Death is a part of life, we forget that very often. Bless you in all you do and may God comfort you in your sorrow.

I'm so sorry. This probably isn't something you'll be able to fix. It could be neuro toxin poisoning or a brain tumor or tumors throughout.

I wish I could give you more hope.:hugs

I figured it had to be something pretty bad. :-(. I'm going over the coop and yard with a fine-toothed comb. Thank you for suggesting examining the area. I sure don't want another chicken getting affected

Thank you for your thoughts about the process of death and mourning. It does help to be able to think about it in a larger context.

I watched my brother's last journey which took a year from his first diagnosis with a malignant brain tumor. The hospice workers were angels and we couldn't have gotten through the process without them.

Make sure that she is drinking fluids with electrolytes and vitamins, even though it is available in several spots. Make her a small bowl of watery chicken feed with a bit of egg and plain yogurt. Check to make sure that she can see her food and water. So many issues can affect chickens, so it is good to give a thorough inspection of her poops, her crop to make sure that there are no signs of a sour or impacted crop, check her ears for any signs of infection or mites, and look for signs of lice and mites on her body. Older hens are more prone to reproductive disorders that can affect walking and how they feel.

Thank you! I am making a list of what to bring to the coop in the morning and what to check. I have checked her crop and it was normal today. I ill check it again while I'm looking at the rest of her.

Several days later, Miriam is no worse, and maybe, possibly, the tiniest bit less affected by the balance issue -- or more likely she is learning to cope with it.

She has no problem walking, running, pecking at the ground, eating, or drinking. She can climb the chicken staircase (my husband thought stairs would be easier for chickens than a ladder, gotta love him). While she can't, or chooses not to, jump onto the actual roost (we have a thick branch and a wide-side-up 2'x4' for them to choose from), she sleeps on the thick sand table under the roost, which some of the hens prefer to do. She maintains her middle-of-the-pecking-order position without a problem. She begs for treats. Overall, she seems content. This makes me happy enough to let her be.

I am concerned, however, at seeing she has some difficulty preening without tipping over. I'm not sure what else she may have difficulty with but will be watching her. I'm going to keep a close eye on Miriam's behavior and condition, and if her quality of life goes down, I'll reconsider what to do.

Meanwhile I'm happy to hear your thoughts about Miriam -- what could be causing the wobbly balance, what could be done, when to make the decision to put her down . . . and any other thoughts you may have about her. Many thanks in advance.

image.jpg

Not a recent picture, but she looks about the same. :)

Back
Top Bottom