Chicken having "seizure" & Pullet coughing brown liquid

Oct 22, 2020
Norther WI
My Coop
My Coop
I had a cockerel that was 20 weeks old and doing great then seemed to be having seizures he was mouth open breathing, and convulsing, he would eat and drink but was severely off with the aim of his beak like he would peck at the food but swerve to the side. I euthanized him earlier today but would like some opinions on what happened to him.

The second issue was an amazing BCM x EE pullet that was just getting ready to lay she was a great weight and looked good nice comb color and such but yesterday morning I noticed that she was coughing up a brown liquid that smelled terrible, and by this morning she was dead. I am at a loss on what happened to such a seemingly healthy pullet.

Thanks for your input,
C.A.A.

I had a cockerel that was 20 weeks old and doing great then seemed to be having seizures he was mouth open breathing, and convulsing, he would eat and drink but was severely off with the aim of his beak like he would peck at the food but swerve to the side. I euthanized him earlier today but would like some opinions on what happened to him.

The second issue was an amazing BCM x EE pullet that was just getting ready to lay she was a great weight and looked good nice comb color and such but yesterday morning I noticed that she was coughing up a brown liquid that smelled terrible, and by this morning she was dead. I am at a loss on what happened to such a seemingly healthy pullet.

Thanks for your input,
C.A.A.
Can you find a local vet to do an autopsy? Really sorry this is happening to you :(

Sorry for your loss. Your state vet can perform a necropsy on a chicken if you lose another. The body should be kept cold but not frozen, and taken in right away. You can ship as well. Here is a list of state vets including 2 in WI:
https://www.metzerfarms.com/poultry-labs.html

The rooster could possibly have something neurological such as bird flu or Mareks. The second chicken sounds like she had sour crop. I would check your bird’s crop early in the mornings to see if they are emptying overnight. Do you provide poultry grit to help with digestion?

Back
Top Bottom