Chicken Head Injury

HootWhite

Chirping
Aug 12, 2023
Buckner, KY
When putting up my chickens tonight I was missing a pullet (17 weeks old) and found her tangled in the poultry netting by her leg. The older hens must have laid into her head and has cause bleeding from pecking her head.

I have cleaned and applied vetericyn and poultry cell to her water. Separated into her own space away from the flock. When in the garage she would not walk, I am assuming from shock.

Any suggestions or just provide time to heal before introducing back into the flock.

She is standing up today, eating, and drinking. The injured leg is no longer curling her toes and putting weight on it.

Attachments

• IMG_4922.jpeg
    IMG_4922.jpeg
    693.3 KB · Views: 7
**Update** Day 3

Leg is improving, more standing, and lightly walking in holding cage. Eyes, comb, and waddle are all vibrant. Preening and normal behaviors today. Head is already healing and no infection.

After the cold spell in the next 48 hours hoping to
move her to the blocked off run and coop to allow the flock to interact through the hardware cloth.

Poor thing. Offer sugar water (1 tsp per 8 ounce cup) or electrolytes to treat her shock. Keep her in a calm, quiet, dim area. In the morning, offer chicken feed, perhaps some made wet with water and a bit of scrambled egg. Saline or Vetericyn is fine for the wound, and you can apply Neosporin when it is dry twice daily. Do her eyes look okay? Let us know how she is feeling in the morning. Has she been low in the pecking order, and do you have a rooster?

She probably has nerve damage from getting caught in the netting. Hopefully it will improve. I have used non-electrified poultry netting for years, and the chickens never got caught into it (although the cats and dogs on the other side had to get used to it.) So I would guess that she may have been trying to escape a chicken chasing and pecking her. Then getting caught in the netting she may have fought to free herself. When caught and injured, another chicken really pecked her head.

Back
Top Bottom