Chicken "Hospital" under coop?

lisacbc

In the Brooder
Feb 19, 2022
I am currently designing a coop for 6 chickens (max due to local zoning.) I have read that the recommended run-space is 10 square feet per chicken. Due to space constraints I am planning on building a 6'x 10' run/coop area where a 4x6' portion of that is under a raised coop on legs to reclaim some run square-footage.

I have heard that when chickens are sick it is best to keep them confined near their flock so as to not upset the pecking order. I had the idea that I might build a removable panel that would serve to divide off the portion under the coop in case of a sick chicken.

What are the reasons not to do this? I can imagine that having my hospital so close to the ground could be difficult as I will have to stoop down to check on the sick chicken. Any other reasons?

Also, how tall should I make this space underneath the coop?

A hospital cage/area would generally be on the ground regardless, so I wouldn't consider that a downside by itself. However a 24 sq ft area is quite large to section off and would restrict the remaining flock into too tight of an area (only 36 sq ft left for the other birds), and the sick bird may need to be kept in for weeks. It would probably be easier to use a dog crate for confinement and just bring it out as needed.

Height under coop is really more about your convenience, the birds would use it just fine at around 1' let's say, but you would need to crawl in on your belly to access that. 2' is more typical I think, 3' would be even better for access.

Is there any way to make the run space bigger or is that the hard limit, i.e. ordinance strictly limits the size?

I concur with above. That's a lot of space that can be used by the whole flock. Make it as high as you can for your ease. Use a dog crate for sick and injured. Also ask yourself if treating sick/injured is right for you. Antibiotics are harder to get now.

A hospital cage/area would generally be on the ground regardless, so I wouldn't consider that a downside by itself. However a 24 sq ft area is quite large to section off and would restrict the remaining flock into too tight of an area (only 36 sq ft left for the other birds), and the sick bird may need to be kept in for weeks. It would probably be easier to use a dog crate for confinement and just bring it out as needed.

Height under coop is really more about your convenience, the birds would use it just fine at around 1' let's say, but you would need to crawl in on your belly to access that. 2' is more typical I think, 3' would be even better for access.

Is there any way to make the run space bigger or is that the hard limit, i.e. ordinance strictly limits the size?
I don't have a space limit per city ordinance-- at least not that I am aware of. It's more of a space (behind the garden) issue. I could potentially increase length of coop/run to 12 feet. Are you asking that so that when a dog crate has to be put in there it won't take up as much run?

I don't have a space limit per city ordinance-- at least not that I am aware of. It's more of a space (behind the garden) issue. I could potentially increase length of coop/run to 12 feet. Are you asking that so that when a dog crate has to be put in there it won't take up as much run?
That's part of it. It's also because you calculated your build for bare recommended minimum for 6 (assuming you plan on getting a flock totaling 6 at some point), which may not be enough for some flocks. You don't generally see behavioral issues in roomier set ups because birds can put distance between one another, and because more space = more clutter you can add for enrichment, but the tighter you go towards minimum the more issues potentially could flare up.

That's part of it. It's also because you calculated your build for bare recommended minimum for 6 (assuming you plan on getting a flock totaling 6 at some point), which may not be enough for some flocks. You don't generally see behavioral issues in roomier set ups because birds can put distance between one another, and because more space = more clutter you can add for enrichment, but the tighter you go towards minimum the more issues potentially could flare up.
I appreciate this feedback. I think I can comfortably extend my setup to 12 feet-- after which it is going to start becoming problematic for the space. I especially appreciate you mentioning having space for clutter enrichment. That is something I really want to put into play because my chickens (Currently 4) will often be confined to the run -- only able to be out in the yard when I am home to supervise them. I want them to feel happy and well in their space, so I really appreciate the suggestion.

If i might ask a second question here and draw on your expertise a bit more-- would/could the space under the coop be useful in the future for integrating new pullets into the flock? I am wondering how to handle that in the future since I know the new hens are supposed to live alongside the current flock for a while without intermingling in the same space for a good while.

Will you be able to free-range your chickens at all? If not, you definitely need to go bigger. Minimums are not a good/ideal living conditions.
I appreciate this feedback. Is there a different recommended minimum square footage for if my chickens are likely to be in the run quite a bit? ( I can and will let them roam the yard, but only when I am home to supervise, which limits their outside time quite a bit.)

I concur with above. That's a lot of space that can be used by the whole flock. Make it as high as you can for your ease. Use a dog crate for sick and injured. Also ask yourself if treating sick/injured is right for you. Antibiotics are harder to get now.
Thank you for the feedback and questions. I will need to learn more about that.

I appreciate this feedback. I think I can comfortably extend my setup to 12 feet-- after which it is going to start becoming problematic for the space. I especially appreciate you mentioning having space for clutter enrichment. That is something I really want to put into play because my chickens (Currently 4) will often be confined to the run -- only able to be out in the yard when I am home to supervise them. I want them to feel happy and well in their space, so I really appreciate the suggestion.

If i might ask a second question here and draw on your expertise a bit more-- would/could the space under the coop be useful in the future for integrating new pullets into the flock? I am wondering how to handle that in the future since I know the new hens are supposed to live alongside the current flock for a while without intermingling in the same space for a good while.
Yes, that undercoop space can be used for integration. A wire panel across the span would allow for see but no touch with a decent amount of space for the new birds to move around in, room for their feeder and water, etc. In somewhat the same vein I would highly suggest building in access doors or panels on the back/side of the run so you can access that portion, as new birds can be more skittish, or just in case a bird that's ill crawls back there, lays eggs back there, etc..

And on the subject of integration, that's another reason for more space - integration goes much smoother when birds can put distance between one another, and when you have room for extra feeders, extra clutter, which help ease tensions when birds are getting to know one another

Back
Top Bottom