Chicken ID on rescued birds

JTCKNS

In the Brooder
Apr 29, 2023
The first two pictures are Madge with her beard and poofy top knot and fuzzy feet. Next is Raven. She lays green eggs. The rooster is a Banty I know the white rooster is a Silkie.
IMG_5448.jpeg
IMG_5454.jpeg
IMG_5452.jpeg
IMG_5451.jpeg

The first one is maybe a Silkie/Cochin cross.

The second, who knows? Maybe Andalusian/Easter egger cross? Difficult to say with that one.

The little rooster looks like a D'Anvers bantam cross, maybe, or D'Uccle cross. He has scaly leg mites and needs treatment, along with any others who show signs of it. Treat with a heavy amount of Vaseline in the legs, making sure to get it deep into the crevices to suffocate the mites, then keep him in a cage, off the ground, for a few days and repeat applications of Vaseline.

Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

Madge is a Silkie cross (first generation crosses are hard feathered and sometimes annoyingly referred to as Satin).. bred back to the Silkie boy probably throw 50% Silkied offspring. If the white was dominant bred to black equals what's known as paint.. more commonly Silkies are recessive white.. I know that was more than you were asking but thanks for letting me be distracted from life while I share.

The other lady pictured with the white Silkie boy (Raven?).. looks like rough legs needing treatment perhaps.

I'm clueless on your last guy.. but looks like he needs some treatment for Scaly leg mites. Other possible causes of raised scales would be age.. combs and watt;es aren't super wrinkled nor are spurs excessively though they are decently long.. oh.. but as I zoom in trying to narrow down age.. I notice he is cross beaked.. (bummer, I'd be sure not to breed that forward should you move onto any hatching adventures). He looks like an otherwise gorgeous fella.

Thank you all so much for all the information. I have learned so much already. I just thought he had thick legs. We have ordered some mite remedies and I chopped up some rosemary, spearmint, and thyme to sprinkle in the coop and run area to help as well.

Hi there, hope you're enjoying BYC! :frow

Madge is a Silkie cross (first generation crosses are hard feathered and sometimes annoyingly referred to as Satin).. bred back to the Silkie boy probably throw 50% Silkied offspring. If the white was dominant bred to black equals what's known as paint.. more commonly Silkies are recessive white.. I know that was more than you were asking but thanks for letting me be distracted from life while I share.

The other lady pictured with the white Silkie boy (Raven?).. looks like rough legs needing treatment perhaps.

I'm clueless on your last guy.. but looks like he needs some treatment for Scaly leg mites. Other possible causes of raised scales would be age.. combs and watt;es aren't super wrinkled nor are spurs excessively though they are decently long.. oh.. but as I zoom in trying to narrow down age.. I notice he is cross beaked.. (bummer, I'd be sure not to breed that forward should you move onto any hatching adventures). He looks like an otherwise gorgeous fella.
The 5th chicken I didn’t send a picture of has been setting on some eggs. It looks like both Madge and Raven contributed eggs to her clutch. Right now we have 4 black and 2 tan (which might be Corny’s) and one more green and one small tan egg to go.
IMG_5535.jpeg

Thank you all so much for all the information. I have learned so much already. I just thought he had thick legs. We have ordered some mite remedies and I chopped up some rosemary, spearmint, and thyme to sprinkle in the coop and run area to help as well.
The herbs will have NO effect on SLM (or most anything else in such small amounts) as they have burrowed under the scales and are not even living at the surface. Also they quickly lose any effect they may have had when fresh cut or fresh rubbed.. I've watched mosquitoes land and hang out on the rosemary and mint plants I tried as deterrent. Essential oils.. are much more volatile (and should be used sparingly with caution). No (unproven) home remedy should be relied on when an infestation is at hand

Many folks will treat by suffocation using food grade viscous oil or Vaseline but here is a link that describes a fair number of what should be effective options..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly...idocoptes mutans,crusty-looking feet and legs.

I was under the impression that Permethrin based spray (sometimes called horse fly spray, found in the equine section but labeled for use on chickens and requires NO withdrawal time for eggs! EVEN safe for use on newly hatched chicks.) would not work but I do believe one or the other of @Shadrack or @RoostersAreAwesome has had success using that method.. Permethrin also works against norther fowl mites, lice, termites, and a whole host of other pests/parasites.. Noting, not safe for use on cats. The final note about these products.. permthrin is the synthetic version or form of Pyrethrin.. a chemical compound found in Chrysanthemum (not sure plant or flower).. Synthetic or organic.. chemicals are chemicals and source does not always indicate safety IMO..

Funny the chicken chick doesn't mention Elector PSP.. the product many who worry about organic stuff use when facing NFM, lice etc.. and allegedly only requires one treatment for full efficacy where as most other treatments require at least one follow up treatment.. Maybe that because of the whole under the surface thing mentioned as to why permethrin spray was also considered ineffective.. but following the suggestion made whoever replies to the tag I did.. might also work.

Right now we have 4 black and 2 tan (
So cute, it brought my first smile of the day. Congratulations! :love

The herbs will have NO effect on SLM (or most anything else in such small amounts) as they have burrowed under the scales and are not even living at the surface. Also they quickly lose any effect they may have had when fresh cut or fresh rubbed.. I've watched mosquitoes land and hang out on the rosemary and mint plants I tried as deterrent. Essential oils.. are much more volatile (and should be used sparingly with caution). No (unproven) home remedy should be relied on when an infestation is at hand

Many folks will treat by suffocation using food grade viscous oil or Vaseline but here is a link that describes a fair number of what should be effective options..

https://the-chicken-chick.com/scaly-leg-mites-in-chickens/#:~:text=Scaly leg mites (Knemidocoptes mutans,crusty-looking feet and legs.

I was under the impression that Permethrin based spray (sometimes called horse fly spray, found in the equine section but labeled for use on chickens and requires NO withdrawal time for eggs! EVEN safe for use on newly hatched chicks.) would not work but I do believe one or the other of @Shadrack or @RoostersAreAwesome has had success using that method.. Permethrin also works against norther fowl mites, lice, termites, and a whole host of other pests/parasites.. Noting, not safe for use on cats. The final note about these products.. permthrin is the synthetic version or form of Pyrethrin.. a chemical compound found in Chrysanthemum (not sure plant or flower).. Synthetic or organic.. chemicals are chemicals and source does not always indicate safety IMO..

Funny the chicken chick doesn't mention Elector PSP.. the product many who worry about organic stuff use when facing NFM, lice etc.. and allegedly only requires one treatment for full efficacy where as most other treatments require at least one follow up treatment.. Maybe that because of the whole under the surface thing mentioned as to why permethrin spray was also considered ineffective.. but following the suggestion made whoever replies to the tag I did.. might also work.

So cute, it brought my first smile of the day. Congratulations! :love
I haven’t used permethrin on scaly leg mites, but I have heard that ivermectin works well for them. I’ve tried Vaseline with limited success, you have to re-apply it several times for it to really work in my experience.

Back
Top Bottom