Chicken in hot weather

ninafe

Songster
Mar 30, 2022
Houston, TX
Hello! First time chicken owner here. We have four 6 week old ISA browns. We live in Houston- it's been hot and humid and we are approaching 100 this weekend. I've gotten good tips from this forum on how to deal with hot weather but we are limited in terms of what we can do. The coop and run are in deep shade on our covered patio. Before I leave for work in the am and when I get back from work in the PM I'd leave them with a tub of ice to cool off. However I still notice that they have their mouth open a lot throughout the day... not panting, just have mouth open a lot. Should I be worried? I know chickens sweat through their mouth- is it just normal behavior for them in hot weather or should they not do that ideally at all?

Panting is one way that chickens cool themselves. The best thing I did to cool off my girls was to hook up a mister in their run. They don't like to get wet, but they do hover around the edges and seem much more comfortable. Almost no panting when the mister is on, even in 100 degree heat.
I'm looking for a mister! What type do you use? Tell me all about yours!

Welcome to BYC. Have you read my article?

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/hot-climate-chicken-housing-and-care.77263/

They don’t have dirt in the run… just shredded newspaper and pine shaving. Should I put in a tub of dirt in the run? What kind of dirt?!

A tub of dirt wouldn't help them cool off, though they might like a dustbath.

It's the ground itself that's cooler once they dig themselves in under the surface layer.

Could you show us photos of your setup?

As long as they are in the shade and have access to cool dirt and other areas, I wouldn't worry too much.
And fresh, clean water.
They don’t have dirt in the run… just shredded newspaper and pine shaving. Should I put in a tub of dirt in the run? What kind of dirt?!
There's gotta be regular ground dirt under there somewhere.

I used a mister once. They liked it, but shallow pans/trays of water for feet dipping has worked just as well for me. My run is in deep shade.

I'm looking for a mister! What type do you use? Tell me all about yours!
I got it at ACE hardware. It hooks to the wire with clips, it has 6 nozzle heads and hooks up to the hose. It doesn't take much water pressure to run it. I just leave it there all the time, and attach the hose when I need it. The only problem I have is that the heads tend to get clogged with all the dust my girls kick up, but replacement heads are cheap and easy to replace.

I got it at ACE hardware. It hooks to the wire with clips, it has 6 nozzle heads and hooks up to the hose. It doesn't take much water pressure to run it. I just leave it there all the time, and attach the hose when I need it. The only problem I have is that the heads tend to get clogged with all the dust my girls kick up, but replacement heads are cheap and easy to replace.
Do you have a picture?
How high up do you have it?
Does it drip water?
Does your ground stay dry?

Back
Top Bottom