Chicken is Limping

I think so. will she get any better if I don't cut it (and do that stuff) or will it get worse? we did have some barred rocks that got bumble foot, we didn't do anything about it, but we had to help them down off the roosts (which wasn't that bad) i haven't done any thorough research on bumblefoot, I'll probably do some research tomorrow.

Unfortunately left untreated the infection can spread into bones and tendons, causing debilitating pain, lameness and death. Performing the surgery yourself would be agonising for the poor chicken so better to leave it to a professional if you have access to them. The vet put mine out & provided pain relief afterwards.

There is no vets around here that care for chickens. Her feet are at the early stages of bumblefoot. I'm going to see if I can keep soaking it in epsom salt, hopefully gets better, but if it doesn't, I'm not sure what I'll do..? I can't take her to a vet. There is no other way of treating it??

I read where you can soak the feet, soften the scab and either pull it off or just open it a little, spray with Vetricyn and keep wrapped til all healed.

Goodluck, hopefully that works. If it gets worse though then even a regular vet should be able to help.

You'd have to wrap her foot. I used Vetrap, since it sticks to itself. Clean well, spray with Vetricyn, stick some gauze on. Take a 6" piece of Vetrap cut into 3 strips, and wrap between her toes and around the leg to hold it. There's a really good article with pics, I think on the Chicken Chick website, but I'm on my phone and can't find it right now.

Back
Top Bottom