Chooky Chick

In the Brooder
Oct 9, 2017
Hi, I look after 11 chickens, 1 rooster and 4 geese (they are not mine). I am in Australia. 2 chickens are unwell. First chicken is a dark grey chicken, we'll call her Charcoal Chicky. She is a large-ish chicken. This is the fifth day she has been unwell. On the first day I noticed she wasn't 100%, she was standing in the coop by herself, others were out free ranging. Her tail was dropped, she was slightly interested in food. Her abdomen was very swollen and doughy. I've isolated her with the other unwell chook as the others were picking on them. I have been giving her Sulprim antibiotics twice a day. The Sulprim is a powder and was left over from my horse. The dosage I've been giving is a bit hit and miss as I've just been putting a small amount into a syringe and mixing it with water. She also got 2 doses of doxycycline. I wormed her as I'm sure she hasn't been wormed for more than 12 months. I also gave calcium orally. I have also added baby chicken crumble to her feed as it has a low dose of antibiotic in it. Her condition is unchanged. I have palpated her abdomen and no firm lumps were found. I did a "rectal" exam, but I'm inexperienced with chickens but couldn't feel any hard lumps. I don't know her age. She has appeared to be we'll for the 12 months that I have known her.
Chicken 2 is an Isa Brown/Hyline type. We'll call her Red Chooky. Possibly aged but still laying eggs. Has only been in this flock for about 10 months ( was saved from being put to sleep with another chook as, apparently they weren't laying, but have been laying since they have arrived). About 3 moths ago she was unwell- quiet, keeping to herself, not eating as well as normal, dropped tail. I think she may have had a small amount of blood in her poo and also blood on her eggs sometimes. I palpated her abomen and did a bit of an internal palpation, too. I couldnt really feel anything abnormal but I had never rectally examined a chook before. I was looking for an egg in case she was egg bound. I just gave her the Sulprim and baby chicken feed twice a day and a bit of calcium, but she stayed with the flock and came good after about three weeks. She has now become unwell again and her tail is dropped. I've been treating her the same as Charcoal Chooky but she is not as bad as Charcoal Chooky. Her abdomen is also a bit swollen and doughy. She did lay an egg either today or yesterday afternoon (didn't check the nest last night) and I think I can feel another one in her abdomen. Diet for both is grains, seeds, crushed barley, wheat, layer pellets, lucerne chaff, oaten chaff, free range on grass ( approximately 5 acres), she'll grit, food scraps, the occasional raw egg & shell. They free range daily and are in a coop at night. Access to fresh water.
Any advice would be appreciated. I'm hoping to get permission from the owners to take them to the vet but not sure if I will be allowed and financially it will be a strain. I can get more/ different antibiotics or whatever is required that might help them. I was thinking egg yolk peritonitis for Charcoal Chooky and possibly the same but a low grade for Red Chooky. Thanks.

This sounds like a case of Sour Crop. This is when the crop stays impacted so long, that bacteria begins to grow and ferment the food stuck in the crop.

https://www.purposefullysimple.com/how-to-treat-impacted-crop-sour-crop-and-pendulous-crop/

This website tells you how to fix it. It also says to make the chicken throw up. DO NOT DO THAT! If the chicken inhales even a bit of it's throw up, she or he will choke and die.

Best wishes! :) Keep me posted!

Her tail was droppedHer abdomen was very swollen and doughy.I think she may have had a small amount of blood in her poo and also blood on her eggs sometimes.

She has now become unwell again and her tail is dropped.Her abdomen is also a bit swollen and doughy.I think I can feel another one in her abdomen

Hi @Chooky Chick :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hens.

I do agree that checking to make sure their crops are emptying overnight is a good idea.

I just want to clarify - you are mentioning the abdomen for both is swollen and doughy - you are referring to their rear end and not their crop (breast)?

If you are finding swelling in the abdomen, then most likely you are dealing with an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Any of these can have symptoms of droopy tail, going off feed, lethargy, swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen and weight loss. Antibiotics may help short term if caught early. If there is fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be drained to provide some relief for a while as well.

I understand that you are concerned since you have 2with similar symptoms. It's unfortunate, but reproductive disorders can happen at any age and simultaneously. Charcoal Chicky sounds like the younger of the 2 and is just now showing symptoms. Red Chicky is older, a production hen - she has also shown symptoms earlier (3mos ago) - more than likely this was the start of her troubles.

If you can seek vet care that would be best. Have a fecal float to rule out worms and coccidiosis overload. Usually a vet can also examine the birds and determine whether they have a reproductive problems as well.

Asking your vet for the correct dosage on the antibiotics is always best. You may also want to consult your vet whether it's wise to combine a Sulfa drug with the Doxy - I don't know if there is any contradictions there.

Keep us posted.

Peritonitis/Internal Laying
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

Crop issues: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

This sounds like a case of Sour Crop. This is when the crop stays impacted so long, that bacteria begins to grow and ferment the food stuck in the crop.

https://www.purposefullysimple.com/how-to-treat-impacted-crop-sour-crop-and-pendulous-crop/

This website tells you how to fix it. It also says to make the chicken throw up. DO NOT DO THAT! If the chicken inhales even a bit of it's throw up, she or he will choke and die.

Best wishes! :) Keep me posted!

Hi ChattyChickens4Life, Thanks for that info. Their crops appear to be quite empty. They are eating but not much. Sometimes they seem to have a small amount in them and sometimes the seem empty. I check on them twice a day at the moment. I should have been more clear about their abdominal swelling, sorry. I'm referring to very low on their body between their legs. I hope this makes sense.

Hi @Chooky Chick :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hens.

I do agree that checking to make sure their crops are emptying overnight is a good idea.

I just want to clarify - you are mentioning the abdomen for both is swollen and doughy - you are referring to their rear end and not their crop (breast)?

If you are finding swelling in the abdomen, then most likely you are dealing with an internal laying/reproductive disorder like Peritonitis, Ascites, cancer or tumors. Any of these can have symptoms of droopy tail, going off feed, lethargy, swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in the abdomen and weight loss. Antibiotics may help short term if caught early. If there is fluid in the abdomen, sometimes it can be drained to provide some relief for a while as well.

I understand that you are concerned since you have 2with similar symptoms. It's unfortunate, but reproductive disorders can happen at any age and simultaneously. Charcoal Chicky sounds like the younger of the 2 and is just now showing symptoms. Red Chicky is older, a production hen - she has also shown symptoms earlier (3mos ago) - more than likely this was the start of her troubles.

If you can seek vet care that would be best. Have a fecal float to rule out worms and coccidiosis overload. Usually a vet can also examine the birds and determine whether they have a reproductive problems as well.

Asking your vet for the correct dosage on the antibiotics is always best. You may also want to consult your vet whether it's wise to combine a Sulfa drug with the Doxy - I don't know if there is any contradictions there.

Keep us posted.

Peritonitis/Internal Laying
http://www.chickenvet.co.uk/health-and-common-diseases/egg-laying-issues/index.aspx
http://scoopfromthecoop.nutrenaworld.com/tag/laying-issues/
http://www.hobbyfarms.com/livestock-and-pets/6-causes-of-chicken-swollen-abdomen.aspx

Crop issues: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/impacted-slow-and-sour-crops-prevention-and-treatments

Hi Wyorp Rock, thanks for your advice. I'm fairly certain that the crops are emptying. They are not eating much and they haven't really had much in them the whole time. I'm presuming that because I can't feel much that they're emptying.
The swollen, doughy abdomen area I am referring to is at their rear end, between their legs.
I have spoken with my vet but she's more dogs and cats. I contacted a bird vet who was able to give some advice but were cautious as they had not seen the sick ladies. They mentioned draining the abdomen, which I think Charcoal Chooky needs but Red Chooky probably doesn't. I don't feel their conditions are related in a contagious sense, it just so happens that they are symptomatic at the same time but Red Chooky already had a history of it. I'm going to see if my vet will call the bird vet for advice as they give out much more info to other vets than they do to the general public. They said they would provide details of recommended antibiotics and dosages as well as treatment advice. So far they have said about possibly draining the abdomen and sitting her in a warm bath in case she is egg bound. I noticed tonight that her her skin is quite red from the poo dribbling down her body, so I will bath her anyway to hopefully at least soothe the area if nothing else. I will only drain the abdomen under veterinary advice (I'm a vet nurse) as I've not had a lot to do with chickens until this last year. They have lost a lot of weight and I'm keen to do as much as I can, as soon as I can but it's hard as they're not my chickies.

Hi ChattyChickens4Life, Thanks for that info. Their crops appear to be quite empty. They are eating but not much. Sometimes they seem to have a small amount in them and sometimes the seem empty. I check on them twice a day at the moment. I should have been more clear about their abdominal swelling, sorry. I'm referring to very low on their body between their legs. I hope this makes sense.
That makes sense! Sorry, whenever I hear Squishy and doughy in the abdomen area, I go straight to sour crop. Best wishes! Hope she gets better!

Hi Wyorp Rock, thanks for your advice. I'm fairly certain that the crops are emptying. They are not eating much and they haven't really had much in them the whole time. I'm presuming that because I can't feel much that they're emptying.
The swollen, doughy abdomen area I am referring to is at their rear end, between their legs.
I have spoken with my vet but she's more dogs and cats. I contacted a bird vet who was able to give some advice but were cautious as they had not seen the sick ladies. They mentioned draining the abdomen, which I think Charcoal Chooky needs but Red Chooky probably doesn't. I don't feel their conditions are related in a contagious sense, it just so happens that they are symptomatic at the same time but Red Chooky already had a history of it. I'm going to see if my vet will call the bird vet for advice as they give out much more info to other vets than they do to the general public. They said they would provide details of recommended antibiotics and dosages as well as treatment advice. So far they have said about possibly draining the abdomen and sitting her in a warm bath in case she is egg bound. I noticed tonight that her her skin is quite red from the poo dribbling down her body, so I will bath her anyway to hopefully at least soothe the area if nothing else. I will only drain the abdomen under veterinary advice (I'm a vet nurse) as I've not had a lot to do with chickens until this last year. They have lost a lot of weight and I'm keen to do as much as I can, as soon as I can but it's hard as they're not my chickies.

I'm glad you will be able to consult the vet for some further help.

Giving her a wash up is a good idea. If her vent is raw or irritated from poop, you can apply some ointment to help sooth and heal after you have given her a soak. Just depends on what you have available. A+D ointment, triple antibiotic ointment, coconut oil, hemmoriod cream etc. can be used.

It is heartbreaking and frustrating when these things begin to happen, it can make you feel absolutely helpless. If you do lose one, having a necropsy performed or if you have the inclination to do it yourself, taking a look and knowing a bit more about what happened can ease some of the heartache. I had one I put down a couple of months ago that was full of egg matter, then over the weekend found one of my girls - she had died sometime early in the morning. I had to take a look, even though I suspected, but it was a slight comfort knowing there really was not much I could have done for her (she had reproductive issues as well).
When you have time - this is something you might be interested in https://www.backyardchickens.com/th...ions-my-youtube-video-graphic-photos.1201052/
Please keep us posted.

Update: Red Chooky seems to be going ok. She spent most of the day out with the other ladies as it was a nice day.
Charcoal Chooky is no better and no worse. I gave her a warm bath and she spent some time in the sun but I put her away when I had to leave as the geese would pick on her. Tonight I think her tummy might be a teeny bit smaller but it's probably wishful thinking. She was breathing a little heavier I think. She is also "leaking" poo that is a bit of a yellow colour.
20171010_143829.jpg

I have watched all the recommended videos and links as well as other videos and literature on it . It doesn't look good for her. Further discussions with the vet weren't positive but I'm still awaiting more information. Her tail has been sitting a lot lower but was sitting higher after her bath and she had a bit of a pick at some grass. Picture was taken after her bath.

Last edited:
Do the best you can - see that she drinks/eats and her crop is emptying. Monitor her weight, if she starts losing weight or begins to struggle breathing, then it may be time to let her go, but only you can determine when it's time. I'm sorry the vet discussions weren't positive.

Back
Top Bottom