Chicken laws in NJ

Perhaps you could get together with the other undercover chicken keepers and apply for the variance en masse?
fl.gif
Nope. Not in NJ. There's a reason why we New Jerseyeans often refer to our state as "the Gestapo State" - an obvious commentary on the stet of affairs here within "the Garden State".
All that will accomplish is for the authorities to hammer down HARD on all who keep chickens, contrarily to the statute(s) on the books.

NJ is very, VERY harsh, bureaucratically speaking.
Here's one example of this: Many years ago (mid-1990s?), when I was living in very urban Orange (Essex county), NJ - there was drought conditions and watering lawns, flowers & shrubs, trees - anything that was not covered as "agricultural" and "food" - was strictly forbidden, under penalty of very stiff/high fines (like $500 for first-stime scofflaw of the watering ban, and it went up to 6 months jail time + $5000 for repeated offenses… meaning 2 or more times). My vegetable & fruit garden was enclosed inside a 4-ft tall picket fence in the front (southern-exposure facing) yard, just outside my front door. I knew enough to know that agricultural plantings - food - was exempt from the water ban in the Garden State. I had - in raised beds, within my picket fence - rows of tomato plants, an asparagus bed,peppers & eggplants, cardoons, fennel, about 40 different herbs - all in pots, raspberries, strawberries, marigolds,cabbages & rainbow Swiss chard, cukes, peas, beans… and a few edible flowers. Outside my picket fence - but within the front yard - I had climbing roses (edibles), a crabapple tree, and ornamental/edible cabbages along both sides of the entire blue slate front path. I had every right, by law, to water anything edible. And so I positioned my 40+ pots, tubs, and half-barrels of herbs around everything ornamental - my 18403 magnolia tree, my mountain laurel and rhododendron, my forsythia, hosta & lilacs, and my tulip tree… and I strategically replanted the blueberries and strawberries similarly. I added a few miniature apple trees and fig trees - in pots - as well… they were all on get-it-gone-NOW clearance sale, since no one was buying, thanks to the draught conditions and the ban. And then, I watered, right out in the open - during the day, NOT late at night in the dark. I watered the dukey out of it all. I stood out there with the hose… as even for agricultural plants, it was forbidden by law to use sprinklers an other automatic watering devices… you had to stand out in the broiling heat and kiling sun and manually use a hose to water food crops. I did it. Three times a day. For hours. Each day. Of course, the cops came by and ticketed me the first day… the second day… the seventh day… and tenth day… I kept on telling them that I was only watering agricultural food crops. I let my grass lawn go brown and dry up and die. Didn't care. Finally, I was arrested as a scofflaw. Hubby took over, watering thrice daily, as necessary, pointing out it was only food crops. Before they could arrest him, I went before the municipal judge. I was armed with the proper state statutes. Hubby had also hire a lawyer for me, but he wasn't necessary. I insisted that I represent myself, for this, and the municipal prosecutor (whom I know, she was a neighbor of mine) allowed it. I won my case. I also forced the city to allow me to water my edible food crops in peace, thereafter, for the duration of the ban, that year. My neighbors who had quince trees tried to move what they could closer to their quinces to do as I was doing. I had to do this ALONE, though; had I done it with a whole gaggle of people, the prosecutor and judge would have fought me tooth and nail, as that would have seriously jeopardized the city's statistics for water consumption drop - which had to be reported to the state. All of my neighbors were all kinds of ticked off at me for not doing a class-action kind of thing, a group case. But they did better because I pioneered the way on my own. I had opened that door wide open for them to follow suit… and they sure did! Then, West Orange residents began to follow suit… those who lived in the Orange/West Orange Valley had heard about my experience, and the word passed up the hill to the fancier parts of West Orange. Then, neighboring residents of South Orange (in the Historic Montrose section, adjacent to our historic Seven Oaks section of Orange began to do the same.) In the end, my actions did nothing dangerous to the water source at the Orange Reservoir , and many valuable plants were saved.
The way to accomplish anything of this sort in NJ is to do it like I did - alone, in control, and with a LOT of pre-planning. It's just a Jersey thing. lol ;-)

I'm a 'political animal'. lol

I've been involved heavily in politics since my early 20s, when I was elected Comitteewoman for my district in Philadelphia (back in the early 1980s). Well, before that, really… my father, and his father before him, and his mother were all politically active. My paternal grandmother was Philly's first female committeewoman, back in the late 1940s and 1950s for their district. The 'hood wanted my grandfather as committeeman, but as he worked for the city, he couldn't do that - so the solution was for my grandmother to run for election and everyone voted for her. Once in office, however, she did as SHE saw fit (you had to know my grandmother! rotfl), not necessarily what the party - or my grandfather - wanted her to do. My grandfather was a Freemason, so all of the Masons in his lodge rallied behind my grandmother's campaign, and she won by a landslide - upsetting everyone in the city at the time. She won re-elecion several times after that. My father also worked for the City of Philadelphia, and couldn't outright hold elected office… and my mother - who was one of the few upper-middle-class women in Philly in the early 1960s who worked full-time in a career - not just a job. Mother was a cytotechnologist. She held the same committeewoman office for our district that I later was elected to. I've held similar elected offices - on and off - ever since I was old enough to vote (1979). I've switched parties several times, and was a delegate at the founding convention, out in Kansas City, for the Reform Party. I also had a LOT to do with the founding of and growing of the New York Independence Party (and also of CUIP), as well. (Lenora Fulani is a friend of mine. So was Fred Newman - may he rest in peace.) My politics are all over the map, as varying issues crop up. I started off as a Republican Party Committeewoman in Philly. My last held elected office was Democratic Party Committeewoman in my old house (Orange, NJ) that I just moved out of 8 months ago. In between, as I've said, I was registered as Reform Party (back when Ross Perot was involved with it heavily) in 1997. Hubby and I, and two other friends (another couple), financed Lenora Fulani's second Presidential campaign in 1992. I sure wish I still had that kind of money these days… but those days are long gone. Hubby earned quite a lot of money in the 1990s. I was later registered as a member of the NJ Independent Party - but quickly realized that the NJ Party was never going to make it on the national stage due to so many fractures within it; trying to get everyone to focus and all pull the proverbial wagon in one direction proved impossible, it was like herding cats. lol I went back to the Dems. I think my political views can be summed up as "fiscally conservative, socially liberal, no fringe edges for me - solidly in the middle-of-the-road". I am comfortable in politics on any level, as you can see. This kind of war - battling bureaucratic nonsense and the legal system as we've been discussing here in this thread is 'old hat' to me. I am very well versed on how to do such things. ;-) And I am very good at organizing such political movements, grassroots movements. Fred and Lenora - and Jackie Salit (another good friend) - have taught me well! lol lol

Like I said, some things must be accomplished alone, solo - by one person only… later on, others can jump on that bandwagon. Other things must be accomplished as a large group… a 'lobby', if you will, to couch it in political terms. The issue in question that we've been discussing is most definitely best done quietly and thoroughly, methodically, with a lot of pre-planning, by one person. Once that one person 'beats the system' (so to speak), others may - and should - follow suit. This kind of 'war' requires a good general. I hope holypollo is that good general, and has some great strategy. I think she's got a good chance at making change, if she is willing/able to tough it out until she wins. :)

Maybe instead of using my family nickname - my Yiddish name (Sessie), I ought to have used "Machiavelli" as my user name. rotfl

@Sessie now aka Machiavelli - Wow, that is some activist heritage! I like your philosophy of being all over the place depending on the issues. My son will vote for the first time this election, and I've been trying to explain that you have to vote, and if you don't like the choices, then you have to look at their stances on the issues and figure it out that way.

Oh to be young and idealistic again. Still idealistic, just not quite so young! I staryed voting in '76.
lau.gif

@Sessie now aka Machiavelli - Wow, that is some activist heritage! I like your philosophy of being all over the place depending on the issues. My son will vote for the first time this election, and I've been trying to explain that you have to vote, and if you don't like the choices, then you have to look at their stances on the issues and figure it out that way.

Oh to be young and idealistic again. Still idealistic, just not quite so young! I staryed voting in '76.
lau.gif

How true! lol is
Teach your son that he MUST vote if he wishes to keep his own Rights and remain free (as Americans ought to be)! And that sometimes, it does come down to choosing the best of a bad lot, or among rotten candidates - but if so, then vote for the best... and then get busy making changes within the law so that future choices won't be so unpalatable. Teach him that sometimes he MUST step up or speak out or bother to do something activist about a bad situation if he wishes to keep this great country of ours free. It comes down to every generation having to produce enough people who will bother to keep our country as it should be. Had God permitted me to have children of my own, that's what I would have instilled in them.
'
Yeah. I've often been called a rabble-rouser... among other things. rotfl

Hi Everyone! Pretty late to this thread, but I was hoping someone out there new anything about ordinances in Elizabeth, NJ??? I have not been able to find anything online...thoughts?

Best to call your city hall or municipal building, ask for the city clerk, and ask him/her for a copy of the statutes that might pertain to you having chickens. Arrange a time to go pick up said copies. It should be free, since this is public knowledge and you can get any public info for free by OPRA request anyhow. (OPRA = Open Public Records Act)

Some info requires a formal OPRA request... but this shouldn't.

Much of the time your city/town statutes aren't found online, but like I said - they are easily requested and are free. Your city clerk is the proper person to whom you go to ask.
No one else here - other than, possibly, another Elizabeth resident - is going to know the statutes in Elizabeth, if they aren't online. ;-)

Best to call your city hall or municipal building, ask for the city clerk, and ask him/her for a copy of the statutes that might pertain to you having chickens. Arrange a time to go pick up said copies. It should be free, since this is public knowledge and you can get any public info for free by OPRA request anyhow. (OPRA = Open Public Records Act)

Some info requires a formal OPRA request... but this shouldn't.

Much of the time your city/town statutes aren't found online, but like I said - they are easily requested and are free. Your city clerk is the proper person to whom you go to ask.
No one else here - other than, possibly, another Elizabeth resident - is going to know the statutes in Elizabeth, if they aren't online. ;-)
Sessie is right! There might be info in the town codes, or you could try the Rutgers Cooperative Extension. They've been holding classes about backyard chickens and just might be able to guide you in the right direction.

Good luck!
frow.gif

A chronic insomniac for 55 years, the severe chronic pain of broken spine and spinal nerve pain that even morphine doesn't stop (yeah, I get "break-through pain" even when given morphine - so I don't take it any more), and - once again, unable to sleep or sit or lie down or stand - I am awake, as often is the case, in the wee hours of the night. sigh So I did a little google investigating.

I can't fin any ordinances for Elizabeth NJ online... but I do see plenty of articles in the years range of 2005 thru 2015 which refer to many of the Essex County towns I'd've never ever thought permitted chickens, who DO in fact permit chickens. And I have lived in Essex County for 26 years! I only moved out 9 months ago. A number of these articles are about and/or mention chicken keeping in Elizabeth (which, of course, is located in Union County, just adjacent to Essex county and quite similar... just as urban). It seems that the towns in Essex County which permit chickens, and what I could find about the towns in Union County which also permit chickens, have similar regulations IF the news reporters are reporting accurately. I can't find any of these towns having their municipal statutes online to corroborate, however. I DO know that you CAN'T trust news media reporters. You MUST check the facts for yourself - and very carefully.

The statutes above-mentioned in these articles all:

(1) Have building code restrictions regarding the minimum distances permitted to have any part of you coop from any door or window of any house (and often also of any property line). It seems that magic numbers are most often 30 feet to 50 feet away from any structure and/or any structure's doors and windows. Ditto from property lines.

(2) None of these towns permit roosters. Only hens.

(3) Most outright ban [non-enclosed] free-ranging your chickens. One lets you free-range on your property, but will have the Animal Control officer take and put down (or have put down) any chicken found ranging outside your property lines. No second chance.

(4) The raw majority also do not permit you to allow your chickens to fly. (I'm not too sure how one is supposed to stop them from flying altogether with any surety - even birds with clipped wings sometimes make the attempts, from what I understand. Chickens are birds, and most birds fly. Perhaps they mean fly uncontained?) You'll have to find out if, in your town, there is such an no-fly stricture, it's just a case of a poorly-worded statute written by ignorant legislators (council members, etc) - in which case you could help educate them and ask them to re-write said statute with better clarity - OR if they merely mean you must use wire or netting "ceiling" to contain them in a run. If it's the latter, you could point out, respectfully, how they might better word their statute. Or, you could leave well enough alone, if you received a clear answer as to what you are expected to do to remain within the law. Me - I'm the sort to demand that a poorly-written statute be re-written so as to leave absolutely no doubt... but I'm (a) a stickler for the English language... or any language, really - I'm a linguist, (b) very extremely legalistic-minded - having been raised by a family full of lawyers and doctors & having held public elected office & well, I will admit this, being obsessive-compulsive, and (c) just the sort of person to force others - especially those in elected office or public trust positions - to do their absolute best all the time... just because they ought to. However, just because I am a difficult mixture of Quixotic bully does NOT mean that you will do best knocking heads like a bull with everyone around you. lol I can't help myself. You probably can. ;-) This all said - it would be better for those who come after you to have well-written and tight, concise statutes to go by, when they want to know how they may raise chickens in Elizabeth. But don't let me bully you into doing that which you are uncomfortable doing, or might even not be in your best interest to do. The only thing I will urge you to do is to sort out what is meant, exactly, by "no flying", if Elizabeth has such a statute on its books.

You can tell, by now, that I'm an old pol. Only politicians would have spent this much time and these many words, saying what could have been said in a quarter of the time & words! rotfl

It looks like you might be able to raise chickens in Elizabeth. I hope you can and do. :)

Back
Top Bottom