Chicken laying to early? 17 weeks?!

She laid her first successful egg today! She has laid 4 eggs since this post, but they all have been soft-shelled and have cracked because she laid them while she was roosting. She didn't lay any yesterday but today she laid her first successful one. And it was in the nesting box, it's like she new this egg was a good one!

First successful egg!

I am new here.. My Reds are now 18 weeks old..I opened to clean their boxes Sunday & it was a lil egg..I was SD o surprised bc they still young, & has only been eating hand picked grass, (want eat it any other way, lol) & States feed..She has layed one for 3 days now, they getting a lil bigger each day..Here is a pic of the first 2 days..I started them on laying pellets, hope I didn't do wrong, they made 18 weeks old yesterday..Please let me know if I did right or wrong & if it's ok that I'm getting lil eggs..Have a Good evening..Ty

I am new here.. My Reds are now 18 weeks old..I opened to clean their boxes Sunday & it was a lil egg..I was SD o surprised bc they still young, & has only been eating hand picked grass, (want eat it any other way, lol) & States feed..She has layed one for 3 days now, they getting a lil bigger each day..Here is a pic of the first 2 days..I started them on laying pellets, hope I didn't do wrong, they made 18 weeks old yesterday..Please let me know if I did right or wrong & if it's ok that I'm getting lil eggs..Have a Good evening..Ty

Other people on here have more experience than I do, but from what I've read, switching to layer feed at 17-18 weeks is totally fine. The eggs usually start out small and will get larger over time. And my very experienced friend always says that laying is a sign of health, so if they are giving you eggs, that's good!

Back
Top Bottom