Easter Egger laying at 17 1/2 weeks

lwolsin

Chirping
May 17, 2023
My girls have finally started to lay but I am shocked that the first was one of my Easter eggers at only 17 1/2 weeks old! Has anyone had an Easter egger lay this early? She has been laying small eggs consistently for the last 4 days. I am shocked she beat my leghorn and cinnamon queens!
71338225455__D773F5D4-3920-4B0B-B97A-4E99ABC12085.jpeg

at only 17 1/2 weeks old! Has anyone had an Easter egger lay this early?
Yes.. as early as 16 weeks (EE) depending on time of year hatched (daylight hours), and also beating my Leghorn which didn't start until 20 or 22 weeks.. raised in the same hatchery group under same conditions that year. I've even had Silkies start laying that young. Not always the same experience though.

Lovely eggs, congrats! :wee

They'll get bigger over time.

One quick note.. yes it's safe to store unwashed clean eggs at room temp. They do age approximately 7 times faster than under refrigeration though, according to studies I've read. That means degrade in quality.. thinner white, shorter yolk, easier to pop, etc.

Yes.. as early as 16 weeks (EE) depending on time of year hatched (daylight hours), and also beating my Leghorn which didn't start until 20 or 22 weeks.. raised in the same hatchery group under same conditions that year. I've even had Silkies start laying that young. Not always the same experience though.

Lovely eggs, congrats! :wee

They'll get bigger over time.

One quick note.. yes it's safe to store unwashed clean eggs at room temp. They do age approximately 7 times faster than under refrigeration though, according to studies I've read. That means degrade in quality.. thinner white, shorter yolk, easier to pop, etc.
Thank you that’s good to hear! I have another EE sitting in the egg box fingers crossed she is next and I get a different color egg :) and thank you for the egg info! I have 10 hens so when they all start laying we will be going through them quickly so I will definitely wash and refrigerate.

wash and refrigerate.
Unwashed if clean (and still refrigerate).. there is an antibacterial coating called the bloom that also regulates evaporation when left in tact. Washing it off diminishes length of storage. Commercial eggs often have a mineral oil coating placed back on to extend shelf life (freshness not safety per say). You can always wash them right before use if desired.. but *usually* not necessary.

Dirty eggs (ones with poop, or any with minor non leaking cracks).. should be washed in water hotter than the egg and moved to the head of the line for use.

Yes, sounds like you're off to a good start for a colorful basket/skelter with more promise on the way in the not too distant future! :thumbsup

Back
Top Bottom