Chicken Leg Weakness, Please Help ASAP

Dymphna Rowan

Hatching
Nov 7, 2023
My 7-8 hen has started to recently have pain in her legs so that she has trouble getting out of the coop and walking up stairs for example (so anything elevated). I think that where she has the most pain is the “backward knee” part, and it could possibly be arthritis. Could I please have some tips ASAP, because the other hens are noticing and starts to peck her.

If the others are bothering her, I would separate. Tagging @Eggcessive who might know what you can do if this is arthritis.

Is vet care an option? Can you post some pictures of the joints? Are they swollen, red, look inflamed? Any signs of irritation or wounds? Does she roost, or does she sleep in bedding on the floor?
A vet can xray, tell if it's arthritis, and recommend medication, often meloxicam is used, and that requires a prescription. There are a few more medications they can prescribe also.
Without vet care the options are baby aspirin, which can thin blood and make them bleed a lot if injured, it's not usually recommended long term, but more for short term pain management. You can also try CBD oil. Some forms can be used topically, some are taken orally, and those are sometimes helpful.

Carprofen or Rimadyl comes to mind with a hen who is having a hard time with arthritis. I have had great results with my elderly dogs several times to extend their lives and make their days more easy. A vet could prescribe that or a similar medication, Deramax, so I would try to get in to see one if possible.

Thank you for all the help, I’ll try and put some pictures if I remember. While I could go to the vet, they usually just do something that doesn’t last long term and since she is old, I don’t want any extreme medical procedure on her. I just wanted to see if there were any tips besides taking her to the vet.

Sadly, most of the more effective medications require prescriptions. I used CBD for my dog with arthritis, it helped for quite a while before we had to add in some prescription help.
I have heard of people using in on chickens and they felt it helped, but every case and every bird is different.

Back
Top Bottom