Chicken LORE Project - Find & Submit Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances

Wow! The submittals are rolling in! Here is a good example of a well-researched submittal:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/search.php?action=disp&type=Wiki&containerIds[]=3&search=Pasadena

Make sure your link is first-hand, and links directly to the appropriate city and statuate. It makes verifying the data OH so much faster.
smile.png

Last edited by a moderator:
If you go to here:
http://spreadsheets.google.com/pub?...A&single=true&gid=0&range=B1:D700&output=html

You can see which ones have been verified and points awarded. When you hit your 5, you can PM a project manager to have your GFM activated. Otherwise, we will activate it when we take a look at the week's submittals.

Edited: I know you cannot see your username, which we left off for security reasons. But I bet you remember which ones were yours!

Last edited:
Hi, I think this is a terrific idea!
I also saw that my city, State College PA, is already listed. Unfortunately, the information is not entirely accurate. The city of State College does not have any ordinances regarding chickens. These type of ordinances are left up to the township and the city of State College is made up of several townships. The information listed for State College ONLY applies to those living in the Borough township. It does not apply to residents of State College living in other townships, such as College township (which does not permit chickens). Patton township, also part of State College, does permit chickens.

If you have a good link to verify, then submit! I can always combine the information and you get credit too!

Edited: Let me be more clear- you could submit one for each TOWNSHIP, and I can add them to the list. I will then change the State College entry to direct folks to the appropriate township.

Last edited:
Sorry, I don't have links for all the townships. I did research into this in August 2009 to determine if we could get chickens and found on-line info for some of the townships hard to find. From going to each office I know:
Borough = yes
Patton = yes
College = no
Ferguson = ?

Quote:
Saddina, Thanx for jumping in! For unincorporated cities under County jurisdiction, you should do a submission for the County. Instead of the city name, type in, for example, Murietta County. In the notes section, you can list the unincorporated cities under the County jurisdiction. The URL link should be to the County regulations or ordinance. Each single County submission, once validated, earns one GFM Scratch, irregardless of how many unincorporated cities are under the County jurisdiction. Hope that helps!

Nope, those are the cities and towns as well. One big county-wide set of rules that coveres everybody. Only people who get more are those outside of town limits.

Our County Commissioners and Staff are "unconcerned" about this. Therefore, in their laziness, they adopted the same regulations as the City (County Seat) which was copied from and is basically the same as the Big City of Albuquerque, a hundred and forty miles away.

As a result, practically everyone is in violation of the ordinance. (This is a BIG Rural County)

It really doesn't matter much because they don't enforce it. (It is unenforceable due to the Size and Nature of this County.)

Like most other "laws" that they pass...Everyone IGNORES it.

It's just "window-dressing".

Lazy "copy-cat" County Commissioners.

-Junkmanme-
old.gif

Last edited:
As requested.......

Our City Code reads as follows: "55.05 LIVESTOCK. It is unlawful for a person to keep livestock within the City except by written consent of the Council or except in compliance with the City's zoning regulation".

Last year we received a letter from the City Administrator letting us know it has "come to his attention", that we were keeping chickens on our property and that the definition of "Livestock", as it pertains to Chapter 55.05, includes poultry".

I sent a well worded letter to the City Council and to the Administrator asking for an exception and did indeed appear and appeal to the Council at it's next regular meeting.
At the end of the day, we were granted permission by a 4 to 5 vote, (the Mayor and City Attorney also were in favor of letting us keep the birds but not able to vote). With these exceptions, we had to pen in the chickens when they were outside, and it was on a one year trial basis to see if numerous complaints were lodged. They would notify us on receipt of a complaint. They also asked me to limit the number of birds to what I had, at that time around 20.
This year long monitoring situation comes to term the end of May of this year. It is my feeling that since there have been no complaints lodged, that we will be granted an exception. This however will not change the City Code, merely work within it's framework.
It's my opinion that the Code was designed for hooved animals, and poultry was not considered at that time. We do have a new Mayor and some new Council members, and a new City Administrator! We'll have to see how this plays out............ We are blessed with great neighbors!

Thats the deal Niftychicken!

Back
Top Bottom