Chicken LORE Project - Find & Submit Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances

Sara- I am only showing one city submitted for you so far. You will need to submit 4 more verifiable cities to recieve the 3-month GFM.

In Springfield, OR one can have four hens. 1 rooster up to six months old. Or up until it begins to crow. More, if you have a bigger than standard size lot.

Thanx Avanengers! And Welcome to BYC!
welcome-byc.gif
In the 1st post of this thread, you will find the link to make your official "Submission". Be sure to add a contact phone # for Springfield, as well as the URL link to where they have their ordinances or municipal code posted online. Do at least 5 city submissions and have them verified, and you can earn at least a 3-month Golden Feather Membership.

WOW, everyone! In three weeks BYC memebers have submitted over 533 cities to the LORE project!
th.gif

Only 200 cities on the "LIST"! Great job BYC members!
thumbsup.gif

Well, I just added mine from the city of St Charles, IL where we have a few chickens as pets in our yard. ONE guy who lives 4 blocks away has been gossipping about his belief that its illegal to keep poultry. He must have spent HOURS searching the city code for this new code directed at new construction, which specifically states "Agriculture is permitted only on lots of ten(10) acres or more, and the following standards shall be met: 1. No livestock or poultry shall be kept. 2. No retail sales of agricultural products shall be conducted on the premises. 3. Agricultural uses are distinct from private horse stables.

Since we are not conducting an act of agricultural use of our property, on our lot which is less than 10 acres and we do not produce or sell any agricultural product, that code does not apply to us. If he REALLY believes chickens are the same thing as agricultural poultry, I'd invite him to watch our girls dustbathe & eat my daffodils, producing nothing more than the emptiness in my pocketbook. I don't think the IRS can tax the happiness they produce, which is probably worth more anyhow. Is there a legal definition for poultry, livestock, or backyard chickens as pets? I could use a legal definition of the difference. Our fancy, funny little birds were definitely not bred for production of anything more than laughs and oggles.

The code enforcement officer allowed our chickens 2 years ago, based on the wording in the city code which never states chickens are not allowed, but it doesn't have any details about keeping chickens either. We have had his approval for that long, and he helped us get the right permits to build the shed we keep the chickens in. He did say, he was aware St. Charles has had a long history of backyard chickens, hence the wording "...unlawful to sell barter or give away any chick or fowl that has been dyed an unnatural color...", and many old coops can be seen in many old yards.

I'm submitting one last city but I wondered if I can us HTML code in the big info box at the end to make it a little easier to read. Will that work or with the code just show up and make it all harder to read? Just wondering before I hit the submit button!
Thanks!
NIfty, can you tell me how many scratch points I'm up to?
fl.gif
please be 18
fl.gif
please be 18
fl.gif

I didn't see a preview button on the code submission page since it's a different format than these pages.
I just submitted it w/o html code and it'll just have to be read that way!!!
tongue.png

I sure hope that gets me to the 1 yr GFMembership!!

Quote:
DeAnna - Yes, you can enter county regs. Follow the exact same guidelines as for city submissions, including all contact info and the URL link, only in the name field, put the county name, and be sure and designate it as a county. Example: Jefferson COUNTY. (And please be sure it is not a duplicate submission!) Thanx!

Back
Top Bottom