Chicken Losing Feathers

CrazyChickenBoi

In the Brooder
May 12, 2019
Hello everyone!

Hope you are all doing well and staying safe in the most unprecedented times of the COVID-19 pandemic.

I have had my 5 girls since the start of last year and all has been well and they have all been happy and healthy.

Around October last year one of my girls, Jane, started to lose her feathers on her back and it started to get red and look quite sore. I immediately though that it was mites and so I gave her a bath in diatomaceous earth every week.

Expecting her to get better I continued to do this once a week and to date she has not improved. (Occasional weeks of improvement but still one the less quite bad) I have included a photo of her back and the wings for a point of reference.

I have not taken her to the vet as i have always assumed that she will get better. But now I'm just quite concerned as another one of my girls, Rosie, is going into what the early stages of Jane looked like at the beginning of all of this.

Does anyone know what this condition is on offer any support as what to do.

If you guys need anymore info or clarification please don't hesitate to ask :)

Snapchat-882241517.jpg

Do you have a rooster? This is what some of my girls look like. As for her having mites, DE isnt going to get rid of them. I would buy poultry dust.

Hello mrs_organised_chaos

In total I have 5 girls and 3 roosters of which only 2 are the most dominant and the 3rd one is more tame and relaxed. (I am aware that the ratio is wrong but, I just couldn't bare to get rid of 2)

In the past I have used a back saddle on Jane and it did improve her condition for a while but didn't improve fully back to her natural state.

Back
Top Bottom