Chicken losing weight

What is the best wormer to use I thought DE? .. do i need to use something in addition to that?
i have an Orphington doing the same, her sister born at the same time (December) has been laying daily for a couple of months the other one seems to be losing weight?
Hi @Chicken_Thighs Are you having trouble with worms in your chickens? Can you take a poop sample to your vet for testing so you can get confirmation of worms and the type that you may be dealing with?

You mention that one is laying eggs - but not the other one? If she is not laying eggs is she molting, does she have any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in her abdomen? Is she lethargic and not eating? Check to see if her crop is emptying overnight. There are so many reasons why a chicken can lose weight, worms can cause weight loss, but exploring all your options is a good idea.

DE is not effective as a dewormer. If testing is not possible, general deworming instructions would be to use Valbazen or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur).
Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10days for each chicken and Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) is 1/4 ml per lb. for 5days in a row. Egg withdrawal period for both would be 14days after last treatment.

Would wazine work? The only Valbazen or Fenbendazole I can find is for goats, and it's very expensive!! Lawd, over $400. No smaller size available locally. I fear having it shipped is going to take to much time? I know nothing about a "crop"
There isn't a local vet that I know of who treats chickens.
I saw her yesterday, standing on one leg, with one eye shut .. Don't know if that is normal or not? She isn't molting that I can see, but does seem a little lethargic? Seems to be eating okay.
Honestly, I don't know if any of them are wormy or how to check I'm new to the chicken world. (looking in the poop)?
Another question would be if the one that is laying eggs are safe to eat, if one is wormy would they all be? I have 9 hens and 2 roosters.

Hi @Chicken_Thighs Are you having trouble with worms in your chickens? Can you take a poop sample to your vet for testing so you can get confirmation of worms and the type that you may be dealing with?

You mention that one is laying eggs - but not the other one? If she is not laying eggs is she molting, does she have any swelling/bloat or feeling of fluid in her abdomen? Is she lethargic and not eating? Check to see if her crop is emptying overnight. There are so many reasons why a chicken can lose weight, worms can cause weight loss, but exploring all your options is a good idea.

DE is not effective as a dewormer. If testing is not possible, general deworming instructions would be to use Valbazen or Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur).
Valbazen dosage is 1/2 ml orally and then repeated in 10days for each chicken and Fenbendazole (Safeguard, Panacur) is 1/4 ml per lb. for 5days in a row. Egg withdrawal period for both would be 14days after last treatment.

Wazine will only treat roundworms. If you suspect any other type of worms the other 2 would be better. You can find Safeguard liquid goat wormer at Tractor Supply for around $28.00. Valbazen is more expensive - must be looking at the large jugs that people use for cattle - usually you can find a smaller bottle online for around $60.00.

If she is standing on one leg, check her feet to make sure there are no scabs or injury.
As far as I know you can eat eggs if your chickens have worms as long as you follow proper safe handling and cooking methods. There would be a withdrawal (throw away) period for the eggs of chickens you treat with a dewormer - usually 14days after final dosage depending on what product you use.

Wazine will only treat roundworms. If you suspect any other type of worms the other 2 would be better. You can find Safeguard liquid goat wormer at Tractor Supply for around $28.00. Valbazen is more expensive - must be looking at the large jugs that people use for cattle - usually you can find a smaller bottle online for around $60.00.

If she is standing on one leg, check her feet to make sure there are no scabs or injury.
As far as I know you can eat eggs if your chickens have worms as long as you follow proper safe handling and cooking methods. There would be a withdrawal (throw away) period for the eggs of chickens you treat with a dewormer - usually 14days after final dosage depending on what product you use.
Thank you!!!

Back
Top Bottom