Chicken lost the back of her neck?

I good safe pain reliever for chickens is ordinary aspirin, 81 grain chewable, the kind old folks take to prevent falling over dead from cardio issues. One whole tablet directly into the beak two times a day will relieve the worst of the pain. By the time healing is underway, the pain should no longer be an issue.

It's okay that she's not sassy today, and understandable. She needs to rest so healing can take place.

To administer the aspirin, just pull down on the wattles with the fingers of one hand to get her to open her beak, and pop the pill in with the other hand. She'll swallow it, no problem.

This looks like a horrible wound to you, and it is, but chickens are amazingly resilient. She should heal just fine.

Hello! So, a little background.. we went outside today to try and catch the rooster. We were going to put Vaseline on his huge wattles. And we notice one of our ISA Browns is holding her head kinda funny and her neck looks wet. I pick her up to investigate (and she let me which was the first red flag) and it’s not wet.. it’s hard.. almost like glue. She’s bald on the back of her neck and has a ton of feather stuck in this hard substance holding her head close to her body. We bring her inside and put her in the tub.. I start gently trying to loosen the feathers with warm water while we try to figure out what it could possibly have been. We can’t come up with anything and the feathers aren’t loosening. I try some oil next and send my husband into the yard to look for anything sticky or out of the ordinary. He comes back in fairly quickly with the entire back of her neck. Her feathers weren’t pulled out.. her skin was pulled off entirely. He says he found it right by the fence in the back of the yard. So now we’re thinking.. ok.. so something grabbed her and tried to pull her through the fence maybe? The geese or our rooster must have scared it off before it could pull her head completely off. Instead of trying to loosen the feathers.. I just start clipping them as carefully as I can.. just enough to free her head so she can eat and drink. We washed it with antibacterial/antimicrobial soap, put some peroxide on it, dabbed it dry gently, put some antibiotic ointment on it, and put her in the chicken hospital with some food and chicken electrolyte water. These are our first chickens. Is there anything else we can do? Anything we should be doing? What do we do tomorrow? We don’t currently have vet money. She’s not bleeding. It clearly hurts but she doesn’t appear lethargic. Im just not sure how to help her or how to proceed so any advice is most welcome. I don’t want to lose her and I want to make her recovery as pleasant for her as possible. I’ll attach some pictures of her neck before and after I freed it, the flesh, and our chicken hospital. Thanks in advance 🙏🏻
I couldn’t figure out how to edit the post, but I just wanted to tell you guys that I got her drinking today!! She apparently didn’t have the right water for her delicate chicken sensibilities. I made her just some plain water and that did the trick. Thank goodness because I was getting worried. She’s also eating.. not much, but I’ll take something over nothing. She seems to only want sunflower seeds. She’s didn’t poop at all yesterday which worried me.. but she pooped after she drank a bunch of water! I’ve also convinced her to take the low dose aspirin you guy recommended. I struggle to believe aspirin is enough pain relief for getting your neck ripped off.. but hopefully chickens metabolize aspirin differently and it actually works. She’s very definitely in pain. She refuses to stretch her neck out so we can slather it up.. have to carefully work around her resistance. We’re rotating between petroleum jelly and the triple antibiotic trying to keep it moist. Still haven’t gotten the feathers off, but I haven’t tried the dawn yet.. I was waiting for her to start eating and drinking again before messing with her too much. Hopefully today we can get those off so the healing can truly begin…. She’s gonna hate me. Thank you for all your advice guys! Hopefully she keeps improving.. between little chicken naps, some of her sass is back so I’m optimistic ☺️ @BigBlueHen53 @Lillith37 @azygous @Eggcessive

Last edited:
Someone with more knowledge might contradict this but if it were me I think I would use liquid coconut oil over petroleum jelly to keep the wound moist and to try to lift off the stuck feathers.

Petrolatum is used even in medical eye ointments, and is gentle. It doesn’t matter if coconut oil or petrolatum is used, but Neosporin base is petrolatum. Medi-Honey and Manuka honey are also good for wounds. Those can be expensive. Whatever it takes to get her healing. So good to hear that she is drinking.Keep up up to date on how she is doing.

She is not going to hate you.

We had an Easter Egger that was attacked by a dog a year or so ago (I lose track of time, lol). She lost some skin off her back and had a pretty good sized hole in her back, bigger than a quarter. Plus she got fly-strike but not too bad. It made my knees weak and I wanted to faint! I almost put her down. But following advice from @Eggcessive, @azygous and @Wyorp Rock, she pulled through! In about a month you could hardly see any sign of a wound. It was a happy day when she went back out to be with the rest of the flock. Your girl will pull through - and so will you. 😉

Petrolatum is used even in medical eye ointments, and is gentle. It doesn’t matter if coconut oil or petrolatum is used, but Neosporin base is petrolatum. Medi-Honey and Manuka honey are also good for wounds. Those can be expensive. Whatever it takes to get her healing. So good to hear that she is drinking.Keep up up to date on how she is doing.
Hey guys! She’s doing alright. Eating and drinking. She even started laying eggs in her hospital room. We’ve had some super nice weather the past few days so we let her go outside. Initially she was separated for a day so they could hang out through a fence.. then with the ladies under supervision.. then we let her be. I have never seen a chicken so happy to take a dust bath 🤣 however! She’s been looking a little pale around her face? Her ears have been permanently pale. And her eye goes white on and off. We did treat everyone for mites recently.. she’s still eating and drinking. And the eggs, of course. So.. I’m not sure what it could be? She won’t touch vitamin water tho. Cuz she’s spoiled. She wants fresh sink water or dirty mud puddle water.. there’s no inbetween. I’ll attach some pictures of her color right. Her eye was totally white when we brought her inside to sleep.. it’s pinked up a little but it’s still pale. @BigBlueHen53

Attachments

• IMG_3752.jpeg
    IMG_3752.jpeg
    521.7 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG_3756.jpeg
    IMG_3756.jpeg
    494.7 KB · Views: 4
Are you on top of the globe or at the bottom half? If the former, paleness can be due to slacking off of hormones due to shortening days.
Uhhh… I’m in Iowa, USA. Im bad at geography 😬 but her sisters aren’t pale. Same kind of chicken. ISA browns, that is. Maybe being inside kinda in the dark (not the dark dark, but she’s been in a wire dog kennel with a sheet over 3 sides of it.. like only the front of the cage is open. Helps hold all the hay in and I figured she might feel more secure that way) more than everyone else for a week messed her up?

:confused: Sorry, don't know the answers to those questions. You're getting great advice from @azygous and @Eggcessive, they're two of the most knowledgeable folks here on BYC.

I'm not that smart, I just happened to be one of the first ones on scene here when you needed help. Kind of a first responder till the Big Guns show up, lol.

(Psst, you're in the top half of the globe, lol) 😉

Back
Top Bottom