Chicken Math

Iluveggers

Crossing the Road
Jun 27, 2021
NYS
So…I started with an early order to Mt Healthy around the new year (for June, but they have an early bird discount and I knew what I wanted). Since then, I have also placed an Ideal order. Started with 10 chicks from MtH and 10 from Ideal. Arriving this week, shared with some friends. We were each going to get a handful.

Order is now 11 chicks from MtH, and 24 from Ideal. I almost added 2 more chicks this morning. Twice. And talked myself out of it. Twice.

Of course part of the justification is I did lose two from my flock this spring, and now two are broody, and eggs aren’t coming in as fast now….so of course better to order some extras…and of course my friend added a few because now Ideal has SEXED lavender Orpingtons…I tried to get a Cochin or Brabanter but they are sold out…I keep opening the website and browsing, and then giving myself the “you have enough” pep talk…😂

Share your chicken math stories. Right now the plan is to keep 7..:.maybe 8…we will see…luckily I know who is taking what so I can’t keep them all, although my last friend is taking 8 and I am raising them to outside age. He is taking whichever ones I don’t want, so we get to see who we fall in love with best. ❤️ We’ve been waiting 6 months! Fingers crossed for speedy shipping! Glad it is warming up in the north this week!

Last edited:
That's so exciting!! I love the feeling of buying new chicks 🤣 I hope the shipping is fast!

I found out this year that chicken math is a real problem... lol. I have an existing flock of 6 hens that turned 2 this year. So I decided I need a few more this spring. The plan was to get 3. I bought 3 straight run Ameraucanas. That was supposed to be all lol. But then 2 started looking suspiciously like roosters and I got worried. So I happened to be at the feed store and oops, the chicks weren't all sold out for a change! Instead of just getting 2 more I got 3. So I was supposed to have 9 total chickens this year, but it's looking like 12 now lol. The husband isn't totally impressed, but also not surprised.
The newest ones from the feed store are orpingtons and they're SO cute🐣

That's so exciting!! I love the feeling of buying new chicks 🤣 I hope the shipping is fast!

I found out this year that chicken math is a real problem... lol. I have an existing flock of 6 hens that turned 2 this year. So I decided I need a few more this spring. The plan was to get 3. I bought 3 straight run Ameraucanas. That was supposed to be all lol. But then 2 started looking suspiciously like roosters and I got worried. So I happened to be at the feed store and oops, the chicks weren't all sold out for a change! Instead of just getting 2 more I got 3. So I was supposed to have 9 total chickens this year, but it's looking like 12 now lol. The husband isn't totally impressed, but also not surprised.
The newest ones from the feed store are orpingtons and they're SO cute🐣
Ooh! What breeds do you have besides the 3 new Ameraucanas? Luckily, tractor supply has been sold out of any breeds I’ve wanted the last few times I was there…although the ducks kept drawing me back for extra peeks.

Ooh! What breeds do you have besides the 3 new Ameraucanas? Luckily, tractor supply has been sold out of any breeds I’ve wanted the last few times I was there…although the ducks kept drawing me back for extra peeks.
My older girls are silver laced wyandottes and blue cochins!
I say get the ducks 🤣 It'd be so cute and setting up a little pond would be so fun

We were getting chicks this year, waiting for next year, somehow ended up with 11 chicks, 5 SLW and 4 silkies. We have 33 chickens total now and I've been talking myself out of ordering any chicks from online. I saw they had some heritage breeds I wanted and some silkies thay could ship on the 21st of this month when I was browsing last week. Took a lot of will power to not hit order! Literally all the breeds I wanted had availability on the 21st, that's not exactly coincidence is it! Lol!

Back
Top Bottom