Chicken mating thread !!!

wow, that was a great explanation! I had a friend ask me if the rooster had a penis and I assumed yes, but really had no idea how that worked. :) Now I know.

I didnt know that either! Go figure!

My chickies are 19.5 weeks old. I have two roosters, one is a huge BO and the other a cute little Blue Splash Silkie. The BO started his interest in mating a couple of weeks ago. He would grab the poor ladies by the neck and jump on them, with alot of screaming and feathers. Of course this happened during a week that we had friends staying with us who have two young girls. They were like "what is he doing to them????" Teaching moment? HOW EMBARRASSING! LOL
roll.png

The girls havent laid yet, and they have been keeping their distance from him. But just yesterday I watched Madge and Ivan do a little dance, going around each other in circles, Ivan strutting his stuff then Madge changed her mind and ran to me for protection. But I am noticing a lot less screaming and a semi-calmer Ivan. Some of them are getting close to laying so I think they are becoming a lot more willing.

My Silkie has not showed much interest in the girls. Just likes to be part of the group. They both started crowing just a couple of weeks ago.

See link:

Sperm transfer through cloacal kiss. Colloquial terms us to describe include the following: tread, mate, and cover.

Eggs fertilized by a given cloacal kiss start no later than three days after event. One event may be enough to fertilize an entire clutch but multiples are better. I can have a hen mated once every three days and get similar hatch rate to what is realized with continuous exposure involving multiple matings per day. Sperm may remain viable in female's reproductive tract for up to 28 days or more.

My ameracauna rooster mates all the hens too well..He leaves them with feather off there head and some scraped off there back,so I have to get a few more hens

I have 15 week old Americauna EE's. I just cought one of my roosters mating with a hen. This is the first time that I've seen this. Does this mean that I will start to get eggs soon? So new to this. First time with chickens. I've read that it's abit early for them to start producing eggs at 15 weeks. Does this mean that this will go on for a few weeks till I start seeing eggs? Thanks in advance for all the information!

Jaggs

Jaggs - when the hens do the squat, and get red faces is when you should get eggs :)

Our spitzhauben roo just started crowing.... It's painful. Such a long neck reminds me of a long crower. But it's very funny. No hen raping yet
Our Serema rooster rapes it if it moves, essentially

Ok, I have 2 stupid questions.....

1) How do I know if my roo is being too aggressive? When he mounts my poor girls, he steps all over their heads. I know that's normal, but it seems a little much to me. I feel like I should break it up before someone gets hurt.

2) How long does it take? Thanks to the great info here, I now know about the "cloaca kiss" but when my roo mounts, he's only on them for a few seconds. Is this because he is still young, or is this just all that is needed?

Thanks

1) How do I know if my roo is being too aggressive? When he mounts my poor girls, he steps all over their heads. I know that's normal, but it seems a little much to me. I feel like I should break it up before someone gets hurt.

2) How long does it take? Thanks to the great info here, I now know about the "cloaca kiss" but when my roo mounts, he's only on them for a few seconds. Is this because he is still young, or is this just all that is needed?

Thanks
Since he's still young he's trying to figure it out but soon he will get it down pact,and it only takes a couple seconds or a split second longer(it don't take long) he bites her head to balance when he jumps on her back then shoots the sperm glob to her cloaca so it takes a few seconds if that.

Thanks
Look at video linked above. That is about proper duration. Duration is usually more a function of hen getting ready which is a function of whether she is willing or not. With willing hens the process is more rapid.

The head stepping part seems to be associated with individuals that really starting to feel their oats very early in life.

I have way too many roosters at the moment. I've seen them do the dance, but when one rooster sees anther mating then he wants to join in. It ends up being a gang bang and the poor hen runs away screaming after being jumped by 4 or 5 roosters!

sounds more like gang rape

Back
Top Bottom