Chicken mating thread !!!

Thank you for that info.. I have a question & have been curious since i got my rooster but have not been any closer to knowing if I have a dud or not.. This is Bob, Im told is a 9 month old Aracana,I was also told when he mates with my hens they will lay blue eggs, his crows like crazy but so far no sign of any action.
You're a little misinformed here. Your hens will lay the same color eggs they've always laid, no matter what, if any, rooster they mate with. Egg shell color is genetic and can't be changed.
If your rooster is carrying the blue egg gene and mates with your hens, then their offspring pullets have a chance of laying blue or green eggs. If your hens have brown egg genes, the offspring pullets will most likely lay green eggs. If your hens have white egg genes, you'll likely get blue eggs from the offspring.

So, don't hold your breath for blue or green eggs yet, and decide if you want to hatch chicks or not
wink.png

You're a little misinformed here. Your hens will lay the same color eggs they've always laid, no matter what, if any, rooster they mate with. Egg shell color is genetic and can't be changed.
If your rooster is carrying the blue egg gene and mates with your hens, then their offspring pullets have a chance of laying blue or green eggs. If your hens have brown egg genes, the offspring pullets will most likely lay green eggs. If your hens have white egg genes, you'll likely get blue eggs from the offspring.

So, don't hold your breath for blue or green eggs yet, and decide if you want to hatch chicks or not
wink.png
Good post!

Oh it seems the co-op people have misinformed me on a lot of things..Thank you for the information.. I have learnt a fair bit since joining this site..Especially all the lies I have been told and the wrong breed of chickens too..

Dear Chicken Farmer,
Since my last post my rooster has been very busy with the girls and as you said the eggs wont change color once he mates with them & they haven't,I got 7 fertile eggs & not one of them is any different in color, the man at the co-op told me when I bought him that when he mates the eggs will turn blue, he also told me the my boy was an Araucana which I since been told he is part, he has told me so many lies I went back to throw some true facts at him but he just changed his story to suit himself...Thank you again for your help,regards Kat...

Dear Chicken Farmer,
Since my last post my rooster has been very busy with the girls and as you said the eggs wont change color once he mates with them & they haven't,I got 7 fertile eggs & not one of them is any different in color, the man at the co-op told me when I bought him that when he mates the eggs will turn blue, he also told me the my boy was an Araucana which I since been told he is part, he has told me so many lies I went back to throw some true facts at him but he just changed his story to suit himself...Thank you again for your help,regards Kat...
No problem,glad he's doing his duty!

My roo started crowing around 8 weeks and he was trying to mate the hens last night at 10 weeks. do i have a special roo? they run from him, and he grabs their heads and then trys to get on them. they don't like it.

Hey,
A rooster will dance around a hen until she squats down for him. When she squats he will mount her and they will rub their butts together to fertilize the hens eggs! Another way that a rooster will mate is when he chases a hen around like mad until she stops and squats for him to mate her! I have a huge flock of + 60 chickens and they have 10 roosters between them! If you have to many roosters and not enough hens the roosters will hurt the hens and the hens will lose all their feathers on their backs!
I hope this helped
thumbsup.gif

Back
Top Bottom