Chicken mating thread !!!

I have a question about roosters please...I have 2 roos and only 4 hens so I have kept the 2 roos separate..the one in with the hens has started getting aggressive towards me so he is about to loose his head. He (polish) is now in the pen with no hens (poor him) The eggs have been fertile from the polish. How long will it be before the eggs are fertile from the new roo? Thanks!

I have a question about roosters please...I have 2 roos and only 4 hens so I have kept the 2 roos separate..the one in with the hens has started getting aggressive towards me so he is about to loose his head. He (polish) is now in the pen with no hens (poor him) The eggs have been fertile from the polish. How long will it be before the eggs are fertile from the new roo? Thanks!
Probably about 2 weeks....wait 3-4 weeks to be absolutely sure.

Her face is extremely red!! But I have never seen her in the nesting box or even showing intrest in it. She's my least tame pullet I can barely get a picture of her. I tried a few times yesterday to see if she would squat and that's a big no she runs. I'm not totally positive cause my flock is so mixed. I have 3 RIR that are all laying, a rock but her egg is round . So she is easy to figure out 1 white layer a cream layer and 2 blue layers. I have sen all the other ladies in box. They stay in a big coop during the day but no hiding spaces. They free range at the end of day. Believe me it's been driving me crazy! But I really don't believe she's laying yet. I have 1 pullet at 16 weeks. She is the lowest on totom pole and she is squatting for me but my Roo won't mate with her yet. So I'm confused. I'm not sure if this helps bit she is a GLW and my 16 week old is a Australorp

I have about as many layers as you do, and each egg I get is distinctive (I know by the color who laid every egg I pick up each day). I have had to confine almost all of them to get them to start laying where I wanted them to lay. I also have to place an egg from each hen in her preferred nest each morning so that she sees that I'm not stealing her eggs.
wink.png
Anyway, two of my new layers this year started laying where other hens were already laying; however, one did not, she started laying in the woods. I still haven't found the nest. I had to confine her to get her to lay where I can get her eggs, and I have to leave two eggs in the nest for her in the mornings (her and one other hen).
Anyway.... what I'm saying is the same thing that @aart said, she may be close, or she may be hiding eggs.

I go by 8 hens per rooster. So you would need a lot more hens. So it depends how many definite girls you have currently to decide how many roos to keep.

Good luck.
Hi
frow.gif

If you don't mind too much that I interrupt, I have a question.
I have 8 hens right now. I have five pullets who might hit POL this month (or in the spring) and nine who might hit POL next month (or in the spring). I'm hatching eggs and ordering more pullets and cockerels this winter. I'm looking at having about 90-ish hens when all's said and done. How many roosters do I need for that many hens?

A rooster's sperm can live inside the hens laying system (fertilizing eggs) for up to 28 days.
If you want eggs that have a chance of being fertilized by the Polish, then hatch sooner rather than later. If you want to make absolute certain that the chicks that hatch are definitely from the second rooster, then wait 4 weeks (28 days).

Thanks aart! That long eh? wow must be some potent stuff

Potent enough.
wink.png

I have about as many layers as you do, and each egg I get is distinctive (I know by the color who laid every egg I pick up each day).  I have had to confine almost all of them to get them to start laying where I wanted them to lay.  I also have to place an egg from each hen in her preferred nest each morning so that she sees that I'm not stealing her eggs. ;)   Anyway, two of my new layers this year started laying where other hens were already laying; however, one did not, she started laying in the woods.  I still haven't found the nest.  I had to confine her to get her to lay where I can get her eggs, and I have to leave two eggs in the nest for her in the mornings (her and one other hen).
Anyway.... what I'm saying is the same thing that @aart
said, she may be close, or she may be hiding eggs.

Hi :frow
If you don't mind too much that I interrupt, I have a question.
I have 8 hens right now.  I have five pullets who might hit POL this month (or in the spring) and nine who might hit POL next month (or in the spring).  I'm hatching eggs and ordering more pullets and cockerels this winter.  I'm looking at having about 90-ish hens when all's said and done.  How many roosters do I need for that many hens?
I think I got a egg from her today. All my brown layers eggs are big now! I can tell the reds from the rock who only leaves Goldie. It's a small brown egg. Everyone else lays cream or blue. I checked this morning and left it so I can make sure it's her. I'm 99% there are no other options. Unless my 17 week Australorp started? My EE did start at 17 as well but her face isn't red at al yet even though she squats.

I think I got a egg from her today. All my brown layers eggs are big now! I can tell the reds from the rock who only leaves Goldie. It's a small brown egg. Everyone else lays cream or blue. I checked this morning and left it so I can make sure it's her. I'm 99% there are no other options. Unless my 17 week Australorp started? My EE did start at 17 as well but her face isn't red at al yet even though she squats.

Most things with chickens, especially laying, seem to be a waiting game. I hope everyone starts laying soon for you! =)

I need someone's advice or input. I have a mille Fluer D'uccle. I got her two friends, who we thought ended up being cockerels. I was going to get rid of one. However I went to tend to the big girl flock and the bantams . There I witnessed the two that we thought were cockerels mating and it was the orange one mating the black one.
will a dominant cockerel mate another cockerel? They have Chicken little who is about a month older then them.
the mille is 19 weeks starting to get red a bit. The other two are 13 weeks if that helps . Thanks in advance!! I'm so confused but would be pleased to have two pullets.

Last edited:
I need someone's advice or input. I have a mille Fluer D'uccle. I got her two friends, who we thought ended up being cockerels. I was going to get rid of one. However I went to tend to the big girl flock and the bantams . There I witnessed the two that we thought were cockerels mating and it was the orange one mating the black one. will a dominant cockerel mate another cockerel? They have Chicken little who is about a month older then them. the mille is 19 weeks starting to get red a bit. The other two are 13 weeks if that helps . Thanks in advance!! I'm so confused but would be pleased to have two pullets.

I don't know anything specifically about the breed you have, but the orange one looks to me like a male and the black one looks like a female.

Back
Top Bottom