Chicken mating thread !!!

I don't know anything specifically about the breed you have, but the orange one looks to me like a male and the black one looks like a female.
originally I did think curly was a girl. They are Cochins bantams . Everyone said two boys. I was hoping for two girls and one boy . So that's good news!

Quote: He most likely Wont be fertile yet but like any other male species he will definitely make the effort....... I would say he would be fertile in a few weeks doesn't sound like a long time but in comparison to life expectancy it is a while...... The younger the parent the stronger the offspring (within reason of course)

The black frizzle is a hen and the Buff a Roo (although to a young one)

Thank you, sir. =)

originally I did think curly was a girl. They are Cochins bantams . Everyone said two boys. I was hoping for two girls and one boy . So that's good news!

That's what I thought they looked like, but I thought you said they were another breed. Sorry.
I've had smooth Cochin Bantams and one Frizzle Cochin Bantam; thanks to predators and illness, we only have one smooth CB roo. Ugh! Anyway, I'm glad you have what you wanted!!!

He most likely Wont be fertile yet but like any other male species he will definitely make the effort....... I would say he would be fertile in a few weeks doesn't sound like a long time but in comparison to life expectancy it is a while...... The younger the parent the stronger the offspring (within reason of course)

This is good to know. Thanks!
I have a New Hampshire roo who's been "practicing" since he was about 3 months old.

My 5 month old CCL Roos have started crowing and are both trying to mount the hens. Chester is doing really well, he is dancing, offering food and he even gets up into the nests and arranges them for the girls. My other roo, Rudolph, not so much. He started crowing and trying to mate later than his brother and he is also much larger. Yesterday I came home to find drops of blood all over my deck steps and when I investigated my hens I found Lucy's comb and head were all bloody. Before I could puzzle it out, Rudolph ran all the way across the yard and started grabbing her by the comb and she started shrieking. I have him in a dog crate inside the coop until I can figure out what to do with him.
I'm trying to discern whether or not this is an act of aggression or is he just trying to mate whether the hen wants to or not? I'm curious if he will mellow out after a few weeks or if this type of behavior is what one might see in an aggressive rooster. I should mention that he has only been crowing and trying to mate for about five days. These are my first roosters so I really appreciate any suggestions.

My 5 month old CCL Roos have started crowing and are both trying to mount the hens. Chester is doing really well, he is dancing, offering food and he even gets up into the nests and arranges them for the girls. My other roo, Rudolph, not so much. He started crowing and trying to mate later than his brother and he is also much larger. Yesterday I came home to find drops of blood all over my deck steps and when I investigated my hens I found Lucy's comb and head were all bloody. Before I could puzzle it out, Rudolph ran all the way across the yard and started grabbing her by the comb and she started shrieking. I have him in a dog crate inside the coop until I can figure out what to do with him.
I'm trying to discern whether or not this is an act of aggression or is he just trying to mate whether the hen wants to or not? I'm curious if he will mellow out after a few weeks or if this type of behavior is what one might see in an aggressive rooster. I should mention that he has only been crowing and trying to mate for about five days. These are my first roosters so I really appreciate any suggestions.
I'd get rid of, or keep segregated, the one who drew blood.
Competition between 2 or more cockerels can cause mating aggression in some or all males...and they can start fighting too.

I had a situation where Woody, the nice older cockerel, was fine until the younger ones started to crow and mate, then Woody got very aggressive with his pullets.
The minute (and I mean minute) I removed the younger cockerels, Woody calmed right down.

Not sure what your goals are, but if you don't need more than one cockerel, get rid of the other(s).
Keep the best, eat the rest.

I'd get rid of, or keep segregated, the one who drew blood.
Competition between 2 or more cockerels can cause mating aggression in some or all males...and they can start fighting too.

I had a situation where Woody, the nice older cockerel, was fine until the younger ones started to crow and mate, then Woody got very aggressive with his pullets.
The minute (and I mean minute) I removed the younger cockerels, Woody calmed right down.

Not sure what your goals are, but if you don't need more than one cockerel, get rid of the other(s).
Keep the best, eat the rest.

Thanks aart. To me, it is unexpected that he would choose to attack the hen and not the other rooster. The only reason I had planned on more than one is that I do have some issues with predators and I was hoping they would work together since they are brothers. Do you think there is any chance that the behavior is due to his inexperience and newly raging hormones and he may settle down given a little time?

Quote: Maybe (but not likely) if there's lots of females to share and lots of space.

Roosters are not necessarily an effective predator deterrent...they may warn the hens of danger and get them somewhere safe, but it's not something I'd bet on....roosters can often be nothing more than the first victim to fall in a predator attack.

Effective against predator (HAWK) when predator targets immature birds and hens. Can also be effective against domestic cats. Not effective against other predators and I do not value the roosters ability to warn other flock members as hens and even juveniles can also fill that role. The roosters are louder and easier for me and other anti-predator agents to here when alarm calls produced.

Situation and predator species must be considered.

A6chickenhome, your situation is artificial. Combine one rooster, the free bird will then settle down if he is mature.

Back
Top Bottom