Chicken mating thread !!!

my one rooster is scared of the other rooster who is the boss , when the scared rooster mates the hens the boss rooster comes over and scares him away mostly by going for his comb why and hiw can i stoo this!!!

my one rooster is scared of the other rooster who is the boss , when the scared rooster mates the hens the boss rooster comes over and scares him away mostly by going for his comb why and hiw can i stoo this!!!
Get rid of one of the roosters....keep (and maybe breed) the best, eat the rest.

Do chickens mate when they're molting? One of my girls is molting and my rooster really wants to get with her but she just runs.

You can't stop it; that's the way God made chickens (cocks). Well, whatever you believe in, I guess, that's the way that cocks are.
You only need one cock to cover up to a dozen hens easily (they can cover more, up to 15, sometimes more I've heard), but if you have more than one cock, each one needs at least 10 hens, preferably more. Otherwise, your girls' backs are going to be all torn up.

I agree with @aart :
Quote:
Get rid of one of the roosters....keep (and maybe breed) the best, eat the rest.

Do chickens mate when they're molting? One of my girls is molting and my rooster really wants to get with her but she just runs.

Mostly, hens will squat for a cock when they're laying. If she's in a hard molt, then she's not laying and he kind of "shouldn't" (wouldn't normally) be chasing her.
That's how I can tell when my hens are laying or not. When they're not laying, the cocks leave them alone; when they are laying, then the cocks pester them all the time.

That's my experience, but I'm pretty new, so I hope someone else response to you too! =)

Well I think she's too old to lay because she hasn't for a few years now, but she's only 3. The other girls are too young and won't let him mate them either so I think he's trying everything he can.

Well I think she's too old to lay because she hasn't for a few years now, but she's only 3. The other girls are too young and won't let him mate them either so I think he's trying everything he can.
I find that statement very confusing...she's 3 and hasn't laid for a few years??!?

Most the time a cock won't mate a non laying hen.....sounds like there are other issues going on here.

Yeah I know it's weird but she hasn't layed since her BFF got killed when she was almost 1yr old. I think he's just really desperate.

I agree with @aart again. This does seem odd.
Yeah I know it's weird but she hasn't layed since her BFF got killed when she was almost 1yr old. I think he's just really desperate.
Sounds like you have a hidden nest somewhere.
Desperate, he may be, but a cock won't mate a non-laying hen. I've had cocks that were mating hens and then my few hens went into a hard molt and the pullets weren't laying yet. None of the cocks tried to mate any of them. Once the hens started coming out of their molt, the cocks started mating again. I'd go on an egg hunt asap.

Back
Top Bottom