Chicken mating thread !!!

Oh also I've noticed that he's started sharing his treats with his girls! He's so cute. He makes a bunch of noise and shows then where the treats are and he even brings them peices. I think he'll make a good rooster.

Everyone has different ways of dealing with roosters. Lets not argue about it here please. Leave your information about how you may do things and let the person asking the question decide for themselves.

I have deleted and edited some recent posts in this thread. Lets NOT continue this banter here or this thread will be locked.

Thank you for your cooperation.

-Staff

Last edited:
I have 2 4-month old cockerels, 3 4-month old pullets and 9 hens. The boys have been crowing and mating for the last month or so. They are brothers and best buds. They fought occasionally while growing up but haven't seen them fight with each other since they became sexually active. It's been quite the opposite. They are best buds and will take a hen down together and will both hold her down while they take turns mounting her. Is this a phase or something that will continue and only get worse? I'm thinking I may need to get rid of one. Having a hard time deciding. If one started attacking me it would make the decision a lot easier. :p

Ok...great info...I was just told that a chicken will lay fertile eggS (plural) for days after a mating....
I was under the impression that if I had a roo in with say 6-8 hens that he would "service" them all (probably with a few exceptions) so if they are living together for a week, I would then be able to harvest the eggs from the following week to incubate?

Quote: I harvest them young, under 16 weeks or whenever they start causing trouble - whichever comes first.
Still tender enough then to put on the grill, after resting the cleaned carcass in the fridge for 48-72 hours, grilled bones then saved for making stock.

Ok...great info...I was just told that a chicken will lay fertile eggS (plural) for days after a mating....
I was under the impression that if I had a roo in with say 6-8 hens that he would "service" them all (probably with a few exceptions) so if they are living together for a week, I would then be able to harvest the eggs from the following week to incubate?

Yes this is true as long as the rooster does "his job", which he probably. Although only eggs laid 1-2 days after the first mating will be fertilized.

If roosters of different breeds are exhibiting the behavior, are they implying the condition is somehow vectored/ promoted by a pathogen?

I question outright the assertion about the three roosters taking on a predator and think it is false. If balance of information is of similar quality and / or from similar source then all is suspect. I have been into poultry for a long-time with a breed known for capabilities when aggressive and accounts given above are outside my experience. I will also pit my level / quantity of experience against the authors when it comes to rooster behaviors.
I can speak from experience I have had two brother roosters attempt to defend my flock from two coyotes they got one rooster before I could scare them off but the Roos were definitely going after the coyotes giving the hens time to run

Back
Top Bottom