Chicken moral question

Status
Not open for further replies.
They are not your chickens, give them back. If you want to help the chickens ...1.) offer to find out about the dogs 2.) Offer help with keeping coup predator safe.

Can't call animal contorl. Legally we're not suppose to have them but the doesn't care as long as your neighbors don't care. Mine don't. I think your right sanmar. I'll give them back. In sure they will be killed later but it's not my doing. What kicks me in the pants is she didn't come looking for them. I have had the two days and yet to see her looking for them.

Can't call animal contorl. Legally we're not suppose to have them but the doesn't care as long as your neighbors don't care. Mine don't. I think your right sanmar. I'll give them back. In sure they will be killed later but it's not my doing. What kicks me in the pants is she didn't come looking for them. I have had the two days and yet to see her looking for them.

You did the right thing. Your heart is in the right place wanting to keep them safe. But the right thing was to give them back. It's very hard to see people mistreat animals. Happens with all kinds of animals of all sorts. Consider and ask yourself this if it happens again: If you let her chickens come over to your flock, could they bring lice, disease over to your flock? If she sees them as disposable animals, she is likely not taking care of their health either. Just my two cents.

How about if you tell her you would like to keep them but share the eggs with her. Maybe that would save them and keep her from wanting to get more chickens in the future.

If you can't call animal control about her mistreatment of chickens, can you call about the dogs? Seems strange that they're just allowed to roam around if you're in an urban area.

The right thing to do is to tell her have them and give them back. But, ask her what her goals are for her hens. If she's after eggs, it would be pretty disappointing to have to keep starting over. If she just wants pets, it would be sad to keep losing them. There must be a reason she keeps getting more. Have her come pick them up and she can see your pen. Maybe she just doesn't realize how inadequate hers is.

You know when you think about it morally you can't keep the chickens but you can turn over a lost animal to animal control. They may not come and do anything about her but they will take lost animals surely? You don't have to say you know where they live. Just drop off as lost animals.

At least with animal control they have a chance of surviving and being rehomed somewhere safer?

Last edited:
Does your area have a drop-off place for stray animals? iow, could you or someone take the chickens to the animal shelter yourself or where ever with out calling them out? If I understand you correctly you did find the chickens loose? You know they are not your chickens so you can't keep them, so you are left with either giving them back (where they will probably just get killed), asking her if you can have them (do you want them?), helping her with them (she doesn't seem to want your help, and do you really want to get started "helping" her because I will guess that anytime anything more needs done or fixed with them and the coop she will not be bothered), or turning them over to animal control as the strays they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom