Chicken "mutt" club!!!

This chick is named Twinkie and is the result of a bantam splash sizzle (silkie/Cochin) on a buff Orpington. That's Maude, my super sweet broody who hatxhed the eggs. I have no idea what Twinkie will look like but I'm excited to see the progress. This photo is maybe at 3 days old. It's been a week and her wing feathers are sorta gray sorta brown. Who knows! My only concern is her stance up there on mom, a little "cocky" if you ask me. If buff orps can be sexed by wings then the wings were more female but again, this bird is three different things in one :)

This chick is named Twinkie and is the result of a bantam splash sizzle (silkie/Cochin) on a buff Orpington. That's Maude, my super sweet broody who hatxhed the eggs. I have no idea what Twinkie will look like but I'm excited to see the progress. This photo is maybe at 3 days old. It's been a week and her wing feathers are sorta gray sorta brown. Who knows! My only concern is her stance up there on mom, a little "cocky" if you ask me. If buff orps can be sexed by wings then the wings were more female but again, this bird is three different things in one :)

Adorable.

This chick is named Twinkie and is the result of a bantam splash sizzle (silkie/Cochin) on a buff Orpington. That's Maude, my super sweet broody who hatxhed the eggs. I have no idea what Twinkie will look like but I'm excited to see the progress. This photo is maybe at 3 days old. It's been a week and her wing feathers are sorta gray sorta brown. Who knows! My only concern is her stance up there on mom, a little "cocky" if you ask me. If buff orps can be sexed by wings then the wings were more female but again, this bird is three different things in one
smile.png

Aw... Keep posting here so that we can see the development of this cute chicky mutt.

Here are two of my mutts from a February broody hatch. They are Buff O rooster over a Welsummer hen. I have three cockerels that are of that mix. These two are Primo and Trey.
At the time of the picture they were about 15 weeks old.

Then there are the chicks from a recent hatch. The little dark one is from a Lavender O rooster over what I think is a Buff O hen. The other is from a Welsummer over a Buff O hen mating. They were one day old when this pic was taken.

The little LO/BO cross is named Dusty. The other chick is yet unnamed . All the chicks from this last hatching (Mom is a BO named Aguila) are crosses of Lavender O, Welsummer, Buff O and Speckled Sussex. They are just starting to feather out and their color patterns are really pretty.

Mutt update!!' Twinkie is now 3.5 weeks old. She's mixed from a bantam splash frizzle roo on a buff Orp hen. Still no idea on sex here but the coloring so far is really interesting.

I agree, very interesting coloring indeed. The wings almost look like a lavender in the top picture. And I love the fluffy tail. My little Lavender Orp cross is 3 almost 4 weeks old now. I've got to get a new picture of it. Like yours, no idea of the sex as of yet but the coloring is gorgeous. I first thought that the LO rooster had mated one of my Buff O hens but now I really wonder. It's back and wings are a muted barred black and gray but the breast feathers are a rich fawn laced with black. It has black markings on its beak and 'buff' highlights on it's face. I know genetic color traits can go out the window with crosses. Whether it is a LO crossed with a BO or a LO on a Welsummer hen is unknown at this point but whatever it is, it is a keeper.

I agree, very interesting coloring indeed. The wings almost look like a lavender in the top picture. And I love the fluffy tail.  My little Lavender Orp cross is 3 almost 4 weeks old now. I've got to get a new picture of it. Like yours, no idea of the sex as of yet but the coloring is gorgeous. I first thought that the LO rooster had mated one of my Buff O hens but now I really wonder. It's back and wings are a muted barred black and gray but the breast feathers are a rich fawn laced with black. It has black markings on its beak and 'buff' highlights on it's face. I know genetic color traits can go out the window with crosses. Whether it is a LO crossed with a BO or a LO on a Welsummer hen is unknown at this point but whatever it is, it is a keeper.

Do you have a picture to upload? I'd love to see
1f600.png

Do you have a picture to upload? I'd love to see
1f600.png
Its picture when it was just 24 hours old is at the top of the page, peeping out from under mom. I have to get a new picture taken of it with its first feathers. I've named it Dusty, that way it can be a Dusty or a Dusti as the need arises.

These fluffy bums are 5 days old. I hatched them from eggsI got from a neighbour. She had americaunas and black australorps in her coop. I also saw a buff hen or two in there.

Back
Top Bottom