Chicken "mutt" club!!!

Fizzled crested cream legbar mom and Swedish flower dad
20171214_133842.jpg

Some of my mutts aren't mutts yet, but more than half of my chickens are mutts...so here are some assorted photos. Heck, some of what I think might be purebreds also might not be...

Here we go.

These are some small barnyard mixes that I bought as chicks with their mom back in November. Obviously the larger white one is a cockerel...

Here he is again, with my Silkie roo, and what I think is a leghorn mix, might be a leghorn, I'm not sure.

Here are the Silkie, the mixed cockerel, and 2 of the mixed pullets from same brood.

Here is 2 more of the same, with their mom in the back, she is the wheaten colored hen behind them. Also pictured what I believe to be a buff Orpington

I think my rooster might be a White Rock, not sure...he is a really big guy though. Along with the mama and 2 pullets.

Here is one of the barred pullets

Here they all are a few weeks ago. They are very different now as you see..this is when she was still "brooding" them..fully feathered and all, but still peeping.

Anyway those are my mixes so far. I plan on making a tailor made super chicken that suits my needs, so in the end they will all be mixed. I like the variety as well. I don't want chicks that all look the same...so boring. Millions of chances when you hatch mutts from long lines of mutts. All colorings and combinations are possible. I guess they are with heritage breeds, but it takes a lot longer to get all the different colors. Anyway my chickens are for eggs, meat and fun...so they don't have to be pure or fit any standards. I would like to one day have a few pens of certain breeds so I can just mix a few colors...but keep the original line, but right now I am more into seeing just how varied a mutt flock can be. I will be adding a lot of hatchery chicks here soon, and they will provide me with some more interesting mixes. Because the mixes I have right now are already a streamlined mix... the mama hen is a good broody, and lays pretty well as well, but I like larger eggs...that is where the Buff Orpington, and the Leghorn mix(?) come in. She lays medium sized eggs 2 on 1 off...so she lays for 2 days consecutively and then she skips a day.

I was exchanging two cockerels who were supposed to be pullets when these two little babies came running out of a goat barn. The man who had the farm told me if we could catch them I could have them. The Mama was brown and I couldn't catch her. The place was a mess a tornado had just came through and the next day it snowed so I know they wouldn't have made it, but they are doing fine now. One has more red in it than the other. Who knows what they will turn out to be.

This little one is Peep.

This is Tank. It is more yellow than the other.

Tank had been pecked or hit in the head with something. I think he is a cockerel, but who knows. he seems to sit up straighter like a roo, but is getting his feathers faster than Peep. So maybe its a pullet. Someone on another post said they thought the Mother hen sounded like a game hen. I don't need anymore roos and sure don't need a fighting one.

Back
Top Bottom