Chicken myths and old wives' tales, please!

someone told me recently that her chickens lay better when she puts black pepper in the food, and that "everyone who keeps chickens knows that". Has anyone heard that?

haha people think my silkies are mamals and when they see a picture of them they cant tell if its a chicken or an alpaca XD

Someone told me that chickens were so dumb they will stand in the rain with their heads straight up with beaks open and drown. Well my chickens have been in the rain and I've yet to see one drown!!
lau.gif

My granmother was a prim and proper lady. One day she caught me whistling and in an effort to teach me proper form she told me that "Whistling girls and crowing hens always come to some bad end", I still whistle.
big_smile.png

When it comes to poultry suddenly dying from rain, or anything else, I strongly believe parents have propagated stories to lessen their child's sorrow when pets have been obtained for food purposes rather than to exist as a pet.
roll.png

I would like to think I am wrong, but I have seen so much of this when children have become attached to animals that were obtained to meet food needs.

Back
Top Bottom