Chicken nail almost torn off

Wilderre

Chirping
Sep 8, 2023
It is the short toe nail that she almost tore off getting to the roost tonight. I have her isolated inside and used stypic powder, but it keeps bleeding on and off. Haven't sprayed disinfectant. Afraid will start more bleeding. Suggestions??
Thanks!

Thanks for the advice. The nail did break off at the end, and bleeding slowed after that. It took a bit for me to wrap it in a way that it stays on that toe. I have to work by myself, and I'm new at this. On the same foot, I noticed a small area that is rough and a bit hard. There is no dark spot. I applied some antibacterial ointment after washing the foot...in both areas but could only get the toe wrapped this morning. Should I be soaking her foot too? She now has an open wound on the toe, so I wouldn't want bacteria to migrate.
Also, how long do you recommend keeping her inside? And any recommendations to make her comfortable? She's in a med dog crate with a towel and pine shavings so has to stand or sit but doesn't seem very comfortable.

Thanks for the advice. The nail did break off at the end, and bleeding slowed after that. It took a bit for me to wrap it in a way that it stays on that toe. I have to work by myself, and I'm new at this. On the same foot, I noticed a small area that is rough and a bit hard. There is no dark spot. I applied some antibacterial ointment after washing the foot...in both areas but could only get the toe wrapped this morning. Should I be soaking her foot too? She now has an open wound on the toe, so I wouldn't want bacteria to migrate.
Also, how long do you recommend keeping her inside? And any recommendations to make her comfortable? She's in a med dog crate with a towel and pine shavings so has to stand or sit but doesn't seem very comfortable.
Coupd you get a pic of the foot and the spot you're concerned about? Is she having a hard time walking?

I'll wait for photos to advise - my guess is the nail is probably fine left uncovered and untreated as long as the quick stays scabbed over (which it should, as long as it was allowed to dry off after treatment) so the dark spot is really what I'm curious about.

I don't treat chickens inside, I want to avoid reintegration so they stay out. Their feet will still heal up as long as you give them a relatively clean and dry spot to stand in.

It's the courser looking area near the rear of the foot pad. I can kind of see something similar on the other foot...so maybe callouses? I had read somewhere that raised course skin could indicate early bumblefoot.
Thanks for your help.

1000003035.jpg
1000003036.jpg

Back
Top Bottom