Chicken nail torn off

May 28, 2020
Bonney Lake, Washington
Our Silkie’s nail got torn off yesterday (the last one up so fortunately not really serving a huge purpose/doesn’t have much pressure put on it).

We immediately took her inside and put pressure to stop the bleeding. I cut the nail back with sanitized clippers since it was hanging on by a thread. Sprayed with vetricyn, coated with blue kote, and added a little quick stop to the tip before bandaging with gauze, tape, and wrapped with vet wrap.

No indication of continued bleeding and she’s doing quite well. Eating and drinking normally. Kept her inside overnight.

My questions now are - how should I continue care from here? I was thinking of unwrapping today and doing a strong epsom salt bath, then blue kote + neosporin before wrapping. I will watch for signs of infection. Any issue with this or would you leave out the bath for any reason?

Also debating when to put her outside. We have a docile flock but don’t want to keep her out too long since the dynamics are gentle. Don’t want her to have a rough go. We only have 3 other hens out there and tons of space so not big concern with her getting picked on, mostly with it getting dirty in any way.

Should I unwrap and treat daily?

Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom