Chicken not walking

Mareks disease seems a bit more likely, but it is only best diagnosed through a state poultry lab after death with a necropsy. Many people see Mareks in their flocks and not all birds become sick.

There are also many things that look like Mareks. On a recent vet tv show, a chicken had an infection in an internal organ that was putting pressure on nerves in the legs.

I would try to make a chicken sling or chair to get her upright and in front of her food and water. She can spend sort periods of time in there, and sleep out of it at night. Here are some pictures in post # 5:

You can make a sling out of many things including T shirts or fabric or mesh, and hang them from above, in a dog crate, or with a small wooden crate as a frame:

upload_2018-9-2_16-33-17.jpeg

Can you check her for possible egg binding by inserting a finger (wear a disposable glove if possible) inside her vent about 2 inches?

EE939F98-521E-4B70-860E-E164B6B1FA7E.jpeg
Can you check her for possible egg binding by inserting a finger (wear a disposable glove if possible) inside her vent about 2 inches?
No egg stuck.

I gave her an epsom salt bath and she loved it. Now she’s comfy inside. She’s still eating and drinking and loves treats. I hope this helps.

Giving her some ground up vitamin b on her food and 1/2 a baby aspirin daily (she just takes the half pill like it’s food haha).

Any other suggestions would be helpful.... I understand that they die and it happens, but I want to make sure I do whatever I can to help her before I give up.

I have had birds recover from Marek's outbreaks, so if you have a mind to support her, don't give up as long as she is keen to eat. Tempt her with lots of tasty treats. Slivers of raw liver, eggs meat, fish insects and fruit and veggie smoothies are good to keep them hydrated. Vitamins are good because they support the immune system. Nutri Drench would be good as it is a broad spectrum poultry vitamin tonic. I also find fermenting their feed or providing a probiotic in some other form ie. manufactured powder or liquid, natural yoghurt etc is also helpful.
I had a bird recovered from her first outbreak of Marek's in a matter of a few days.... one day she was fine, the next she was lame and by the second day she was floundering on her side unable to get up. A couple of days later she was running around and you could not tell she had been ill. A few months later she had her second attack and was nest bound for almost 2 months, unable to stand. I set several dates to euthanize her but they came and went and she was still bright eyed and keen to eat and prepared to fight it. It took 4 months of supportive care but she made sufficient of a recovery to return to free ranging with the flock (with a bit of a limp still) but she would fly if she couldn't keep up with the others on foot and would roost on the highest 6 foot roost bars and laid an egg every other day, so even if it is Marek's don't write her off too quickly.....sometimes they surprise you. That chicken gave me an immense amount of pleasure..... she was my tamest bird and would come flying the moment she saw me and had a wonderful quality of life until sadly she fell victim to a fox..... I was heart broken!
Anyway, moral of the story is.... don't give up hope, even if it is Marek's

Good luck. That chicken sling is great by the way! Take her out occasionally to be near the flock and encourage her to move a very short distance towards a treat each day on a surface with good traction.... not a slippy wooden floor. Extend the distance each day and make sure it is a favourite treat so that she focusses. Don't worry that she crawls and it looks cruel, just give her time and let her figure it out. This is how mine got back to walking again. Obviously, don't try this if she is seriously poorly, but if she is bright eyed and has some spirit but just can't coordinate her body, let her figure it out. I used to put mine out on the lawn through the day in a cage and then open the cage at dusk and let her try to make her way back to the coop. I would let her crawl so far and then pick her up and carry her. Each day I let her go further under her own steam before I assisted until eventually she could make it the whole way herself.

We have a Barred Plymouth Rock hen doing a very similar thing. We noticed her limping Sunday, today is Tuesday, and she is still favoring that leg. She tries to put weight on it but hops with her good foot and even uses her wings to balance herself. We inspected it yesterday and gave her a 20 minute warm water/epsom salt soak on her feet and partial body. We didn't see any signs of Bumblefoot or any injuries. We have her in a dog crate \ with water and food today to keep her from moving too much. She is in the run with the other girls so she doesn't get separated from them. We also don't have any roosters but the roosts could be a little higher then needed. We haven't noticed any eggs on the ground in the last 48 hours though, and keeping her in the crate should help us find if she's laying or not. All 15 hens are 26 weeks old and have been producing eggs like crazy the past two months. Does anyone have any suggestions?

We have a Barred Plymouth Rock hen doing a very similar thing. We noticed her limping Sunday, today is Tuesday, and she is still favoring that leg. She tries to put weight on it but hops with her good foot and even uses her wings to balance herself. We inspected it yesterday and gave her a 20 minute warm water/epsom salt soak on her feet and partial body. We didn't see any signs of Bumblefoot or any injuries. We have her in a dog crate \ with water and food today to keep her from moving too much. She is in the run with the other girls so she doesn't get separated from them. We also don't have any roosters but the roosts could be a little higher then needed. We haven't noticed any eggs on the ground in the last 48 hours though, and keeping her in the crate should help us find if she's laying or not. All 15 hens are 26 weeks old and have been producing eggs like crazy the past two months. Does anyone have any suggestions?
Lots of good advice in this whole thread if you read through. Good idea on keeping her in the run but in her dog crate. I’ll move her in there today. Goodluck with your baby

Back
Top Bottom