Chicken not walking

Kelsbug7

Songster
5 Years
May 30, 2018
SW Florida
My chicken has been favoring one of its legs and has not been really moving at all. And when it does it limping. I rubbed the leg all over and inspected the foot and couldn’t find any signs of an injury, and when I squeeze her little feet she didn’t seem to wince at all as if she was bruised. Upon closer inspection I noticed that she does have what looks like mites all over her legs, they are very Small and kind of like a beige color. I’m not sure if this is related to her not walking, but I thought it be important to mention. Does anyone have any ideas or solutions?

A few questions—does she hole the leg up, put a little weight on it, or drag it like it is numb or paralyzed? How old is she? Are your roosts very high, and do you have a rooster who is mating her? Is ther any swelling in her anlkes or hocks?Has she been laying eggs recently?

A few questions—does she hole the leg up, put a little weight on it, or drag it like it is numb or paralyzed? How old is she? Are your roosts very high, and do you have a rooster who is mating her? Is ther any swelling in her anlkes or hocks?Has she been laying eggs recently?
Thanks for all the questions. Let’s see:

She puts a little weight on it but seems to limp. She does not drag it. And I don’t think it’s paralyzed because she can pull it away from me when she doesn’t want to be picked up.

She is 15 weeks old approximately.

I have a ladder leaning against some Roosts so there is varying heights and she shouldn’t have to jump from very high if she doesn’t want to.

Since they are young, I wasn’t sure which ones are roosters, I saw one mounting another a couple days ago, so it’s definitely a top (I just rehomed it today). But I didn’t see this chicken in specific getting mounted.

Don’t see any swelling anywhere, and since they are young they haven’t been laying eggs yet.

They can easily get a sprain or injury from running around, jumping down from things around the yard, and they may take a few days to weeks to heal. If it gets worse, you may want to limit her activity in a dog crate with food and water in view of the other chickens. But if she is getting around okay, I would just watch her for more symptoms.

3B3F8476-25B1-4CF9-8BB3-10AE87F0528B.jpeg FCD5CC3D-ABAB-4FC0-A2C0-FB0E22B52A49.jpeg 1AFC96FE-B615-41EE-BCD8-361A2778F2D6.jpeg D9531EE1-BD4D-4ABF-8A23-E5BE1AC1A550.jpeg 47468758-06C2-4AE3-94E9-C057BE55482F.jpeg FBF28583-95BC-4EE4-B63D-F6D4333EAAC9.jpeg 14B6A1E4-8A0C-4142-AC03-57204BBA63D7.jpeg F0AAEC97-6F69-4DEE-A531-79894C7CBE96.jpeg 3CFF5454-5252-4798-84A4-5265ABB5EC50.jpeg
Could you please post a picture.
They can easily get a sprain or injury from running around, jumping down from things around the yard, and they may take a few days to weeks to heal. If it gets worse, you may want to limit her activity in a dog crate with food and water in view of the other chickens. But if she is getting around okay, I would just watch her for more symptoms.

Also before this injury, or whatever it is, she would have NEVER let me hold her like this. And when she goes to walk she kind of collapses on it.

wow, my girl is experiencing the same problem! She's been favoring her left leg for a while now, and hasn't really moved at all for the last few days... I brought her in for some R & R this morning, but she's not really eating either.

Well, hopefully it is not Mareks disease. That is just something to mention, especially at this age where symptoms can occur. Do you know if she is vaccinated? It might be a good idea to use some vitamins in her water that contain B complex vitamins, or crush a half of a B complex tablet onto some food daily.Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/

Well, hopefully it is not Mareks disease. That is just something to mention, especially at this age where symptoms can occur. Do you know if she is vaccinated? It might be a good idea to use some vitamins in her water that contain B complex vitamins, or crush a half of a B complex tablet onto some food daily.Here is some reading about Mareks:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq.66077/
I would think it’s safe to assume she was not vaccinated. The people I bought her from made me feel like it was more like rescuing her... I take B vitamins everyday myself so that’s good. Is it safe to just give it to all my chickeys?

Back
Top Bottom