Chicken photography by a lady who doesn't know much about chickens..... or photography.... :)

Naliez

Songster
May 7, 2015
I realized today that my phone has over 2,000 pictures and probably a good 90% of them are of chickens. Unfortunately, most of my friends and family do not share the same enthusiasm as I do. So... I've come to BYC, to share with you stories and pictures of my journey into urban begawkary.

A little about myself and my chickens:

My husband, 3 sons, ages 5, 7 & 12 and I currently share a home in an urban area in NC with 3 cats, 2 dogs, 2 Speckled Sussex, 3 Black Australorps (all right at pol) and a brooder full of Serama and Silkies that came from our very first hatch! We had chickens before, a few, but the military moved us to SoCal for 3 years and when we came back, we had to start over, which is where we are today. Eventually, we'd like to move out of the city and into a more self sustaining lifestyle, but for now this is a good starting point for us noobs. Thanks for reading and please share your pics/stories as well! The only thing I love more than looking at my own chicken pictures, is ogling other people's chicken pictures (especially house-chickens because I feel less crazy if there are others out there). So, in no particular order, here is my current cuddle stock:
My "oldest" pullets, Peck and Turk

Here they are, growling at the mailman.

Peck, showing me how pretty she is

Cat is displeased

Turk, and her crooked toe

Kids are watching a scary movie. You can see how much the cat cares, but Peck is making sure everyone is alright, (or looking for crumbs, which is probably more likely)

Peck, hanging out with youngest son and Patches, the dog

Here's a few of when they were little.

And how the other animals handled the new situation.

Last edited:
Yup, for every dozen great shots, I have to take probably between 50 - 100 photos. It's always challenging to get photos when the hens are moving around so much, as soon as the hen stops moving I snap 5 or 6 photos. I took photos of the bantams I need to sell last night, and it took me probably 100+ shots to get these good ones (I had to reduce the resolution considerably to get them to upload):

My EE pullet Celeste posed for me to take 4 or 5 great shots last night. My new avatar:

@chickenpatch , Great shots! That chick is adorable!

Last edited:
Next, are the Australorps. We had a beautiful EE named Hoot (I'll post pics later) but we lost her to a hawk. Also, we had a Barnevelder named Dead Guy. He had something wrong from day one, and was a failure to thrive despite our best efforts, hence the name, and lived for 6 weeks.
Back to the current stock, the BAs... They are Lucy, Long Tail and NoComb. (We were running out of names)

Most of the time, we can't tell them apart unless we get up close.

This was a dangerous shot to get.

And some of them as chicks. BAs are the cutest babies!

My oldest son is being mauled.

Enjoying their first time outside.

Introducing the chicks.

Last edited:
That's a very pretty flock! It looks like its a family affair!
thumbsup.gif
I know what you mean, I too, someday would like a nice piece of land in the mountains of N.C. One day, when the hubby retires. Enjoy your chickens!

I love the black and white pics. Chickens photograph really well in almost any situation, but somehow b&w really brings out their beauty!

Last edited:

Thank you guys! Sorry it has taken so long to get back to this! My computer was down so I had tons of pics and no way to get them on here! I think things have been fixed now, so let me try this again. My plan was to go in order with this thread, but everything is so jumbled up, I'm just going to post some of my better pics (in no particular order) lol
So, anyway, my plan was to get like, 3, maybe 4 BYCs and as you can see... I have about 17, so yes. Chicken math is real. :)

Last edited:
Very nice pictures! It's fun to see the whole family involved in raising chickens. Thanks for sharing so many nice photos!

Back
Top Bottom