Chicken rejected/forgotten help

AtomicVulture

Hatching
Oct 23, 2023
i currently have a little pale yellow chick who i found laying in grass after being forgotten by its mum (who of which is my nextdoor neighbours chicken), she has 11 chicks (excluding this one) that are healthy and following her around closely, and she is currently sitting in her nest underneath my compost stacks. (which is perfectly safe i promise)

i believe its around 1-2 days old

i do not want to put it back as it seems to have a little trouble walking, and she didnt seem too keen on the idea of keeping her 12th kid under her for bed time.

this chick looked very dead from first glance but luckily when i picked it up it began chirping at me.
unlike a very young chick i had found lying in the same position almost dead after being pecked, its now buried.

it seems ok minus the exhaustion and the walking

im not sure what to do to keep this one warm overnight, but it seems to be eating mash (made from laying pellets) well.

i have a wheat bag i heated up a bit but its cold now so its now just on my chest while i type, we have a heatlamp of sorts but its bright and would keep it up overnight (and me up).

we lost our only hot waterbottle and the wheat bag and my own body heat are currently my only choices but suggestions would be great :)

UPDATE : i tried to keep it alive so hard but it died after i fell asleep at 3 am and woke up 2 hours later, i forgot to set alarms and slept through my only timer

i feel like shit, ive let so many poor animals die this past month because im to incompetent to help them or realise something wasnt right.

im sorry but im abandoning this site because i give up on trying to help the dying ones.

Last edited:
You could fill a tube sock with rice and heat it in the microwave. Dont get too hot. Won't stay hot for long similar to your wheat sack? I use it when I have aches and pains, but also during brooding on occasion for special cases. Some may not agree but I would grab a couple of his siblings from underneath momma. They will huddle and stay warm. Mom will be pissed tho. Could you post a video?

You could fill a tube sock with rice and heat it in the microwave. Dont get too hot. Won't stay hot for long similar to your wheat sack? I use it when I have aches and pains, but also during brooding on occasion for special cases. Some may not agree but I would grab a couple of his siblings from underneath momma. They will huddle and stay warm. Mom will be pissed tho. Could you post a video?
im not sure how to add a video to a post or reply sorry, very new to this site :/

but currently its on the wheat sack with a few layers to stop so much of the heat :)

i currently have a little pale yellow chick who i found laying in grass after being forgotten by its mum (who of which is my nextdoor neighbours chicken), she has 11 chicks (excluding this one) that are healthy and following her around closely, and she is currently sitting in her nest underneath my compost stacks. (which is perfectly safe i promise)

i do not want to put it back as it seems to have a little trouble walking, and she didnt seem too keen on the idea of keeping her 12th kid under her for bed time.

this chick looked very dead from first glance but luckily when i picked it up it began chirping at me.
unlike a very young chick i had found lying in the same position almost dead after being pecked, its now buried.

im not sure what to do to keep this one warm overnight, but it seems to be eating mash (made from laying pellets) well.

i have a wheat bag i heated up a bit but its cold now so its now just on my chest while i type, we have a heatlamp of sorts but its bright and would keep it up overnight (and me up).

we lost our only hot waterbottle and the wheat bag and my own body heat are currently my only choices but suggestions would be great :)
You are so sweet for trying to help that little baby. Do you have a heating pad? A heating pad will work. If not then maybe try buying one tomorrow and just doing anything you can do to keep baby warm through the night. I hope baby survives

Gotcha...so is the lil 1 eating? Do u have any kind of box or small tote to put him in? As a temporary solution Ive Cut holes in mixing bowls and milk jugs before, disassembled "gutted" a lamp so that only cord and bulb remain
and ran bulb through said cut hole. Using the bowl as a kinda shade. Placing diy lamp shade in corner of tote, running cord out of tote at top and replacing lid and adjusted height so its not right on top of chick. Switched on and a tiny bit of heat. But this is only TEMPORARY. Have to keep a close eye though. Plastic melts. Unless using a energy efficient bulb, which would be safer but not much if any heat. Then ran to feed store first thing and purchased adequate equipment.

Hope this lil 1 is a survivor. Best of luck. Hope 2 help....

You are so sweet for trying to help that little baby. Do you have a heating pad? A heating pad will work. If not then maybe try buying one tomorrow and just doing anything you can do to keep baby warm through the night. I hope baby survives
Hope this lil 1 is a survivor. Best of luck. Hope 2 help....
should be fine for the night, ive moved a spare microwave into my room so i can reheat the wheat bag and ill set timers for 2-3 hours and just get up to microwave the bag and check in on it, it knows how to eat by itself so ive put a shallow bowl of mash in the basket hes staying in, theres no way for any of my cats to get in even if they really tried so no issues there.

its sleeping soundly now, but i might put it in somthing a bit quieter soon :)

Back
Top Bottom