Chicken ripped a toenail off

Giersons

Chirping
May 7, 2022
Hello fellow mommas,

I have my one hen “sweetheart” who in short ripped one of her toenails off hopping onto the FedEx truck…🤦‍♀️
She is a very social chicken what can I say.

Anyways- I have been cleaning with soap and water, then spraying with wound spray (basically bleach water). After cleaning I dry it well and have been applying bacitracin on a gauze and wrapping it up. She will walk on it when it’s bandaged, but still you can tell bothers her. Without the bandage she will walk in it for short distances and takes breaks holding up her little footie.

My situation is I leave for a business trip next week and my husband is not able to bandage and care for the nail as I have been. This may sound silly, but has anyone ever tried applying a dog nail cap, acrylic or even superglue to coat and cover the remaining nail to protect the quick? No evidence of infection thus far so thought if I sealed it up somehow before I left it could work.

Any ideas are appreciated!

actually not silly sounding. sounds like it might work. i use super glue on myself as its non toxic so that may work though someone smarter may have the right answer

Back
Top Bottom