Chicken Scratch Poultry for pullets? Expanding our flock...

GardenTillers44

Crowing
5 Years
Nov 26, 2016
Hocking Hills, Ohio
I know CSP has been in a couple threads over the years, but I have a couple of new questions. We have a small flock of eight 1 yr. old hens for egg laying: 2-RIR, 2-SLW, 1-Buff Orpington, 2-Amber-links and a Partridge Rock. We would like to expand the flock by 4-6 and are looking to add some color to the egg basket. Thinking of adding 2-Ameraucana, 2-Welsummer and possibly 2-Olive Eggers. Not really interested in show quality, but would like healthy, representative birds with good egg color. Due to our work situation with hours and commutes, we are not set up to handle hatching eggs or raising chicks, and so are looking for a reliable place to obtain pullets. Chicken Scratch Poutry is the only place we have found that offers pullets raised to order in the breeds we are looking for. They are also within driving distance and allow farm pick-up.
My questions: CSP did not have consistently good reviews here a few years ago. I have found some better reviews recently elsewhere, but would like to see some updates from the BYC group??
Does anyone have other options for pullets in the midwest? Meyers Hatchery is only a couple hours from us and occasionally has pullets, but won't raise them to order as far as I know.
Also, since we have never worked with Ameraucanas, Wellies or OE's, do they seem a reasonable fit with what we have? The SLW and Partridge Rock are the dominant hens, but they all get along fine. We have a separate coop, run and foraging area near the main yard so the newcomers can be quarantined, grow and adjust within sight of the others before integrating.

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and input.

If you are not comfortable with CSP. then get some hens from local peeps privately. Seeing you are from Ohio, join the largest Ohio thread and post your requests there. You just might find what you need very close to you. I think it would be a good start.
Here is the link.. https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/12049/ohio-come-on-buckeyes-let-me-know-your-out-there

WISHING YOU BEST and
welcome-byc.gif

Thanks, I'll definitely check out the Buckeye bunch. I already found a neighbor on BYC 15 miles away who is raising Wellies and Americaunas. They are only selling eggs at this point, but may let go of a year old hen or two. I don't know that we are uncomfortable with CSP for started pullets. Every indication I have seen so far is that the disatisfaction in the past has been with the hatching eggs and chicks not living up to expectations. The few folks that have posted about pullets and picking up at the farm have been positive. The convenience of getting the started pullets on our wish list all in one trip and with one flock introduction was the appeal. I'm still interested in any recent CSP experiences.

Thanks, I'll definitely check out the Buckeye bunch. I already found a neighbor on BYC 15 miles away who is raising Wellies and Americaunas. They are only selling eggs at this point, but may let go of a year old hen or two. I don't know that we are uncomfortable with CSP for started pullets. Every indication I have seen so far is that the disatisfaction in the past has been with the hatching eggs and chicks not living up to expectations. The few folks that have posted about pullets and picking up at the farm have been positive. The convenience of getting the started pullets on our wish list all in one trip and with one flock introduction was the appeal. I'm still interested in any recent CSP experiences.
I actually just came across your post as I was searching for reviews for CSP. I purchase the exact breed you mentioned from CSP, Olive Eggers, FBCM, Welsummers and OE. My OE and Welsummers are laying the tiniest of eggs I mean pullet sized for the past 2 months. No change in size at all. They are so small that I can even sell them yet. I was hoping to find reviews from others but haven't come across any yet. All my other layers have had pullet eggs at first and then after about a month they got larger, just not seeing progress in the hens I got from CSP. I ordered 16 from them and got 20 in box but sadly half were roos. I also ordered from Meyers the previous year and had excellent success and 100% pullets.

I actually just came across your post as I was searching for reviews for CSP. I purchase the exact breed you mentioned from CSP, Olive Eggers, FBCM, Welsummers and OE. My OE and Welsummers are laying the tiniest of eggs I mean pullet sized for the past 2 months. No change in size at all. They are so small that I can even sell them yet. I was hoping to find reviews from others but haven't come across any yet. All my other layers have had pullet eggs at first and then after about a month they got larger, just not seeing progress in the hens I got from CSP. I ordered 16 from them and got 20 in box but sadly half were roos. I also ordered from Meyers the previous year and had excellent success and 100% pullets.

We ended up ordering 16 birds, 14 raised pullets and 2 raised roos. 3-Olive Eggers, 3-Welsummers, 3-Light Sussex, 1-Blue Copper Marans, 1-Black Copper Marans and 1-Black Orpington for pullets. 1-Jubilee Orpington and 1-Coronation Sussex for roos. All were given the optional vaccination for mareks. We took a road trip to pick them up in person when they were 9-10 weeks old. We had a nice visit and Angie let us pick out the pullets from a group they had brought out to the truck in a large cage. We inspected them and they all looked healthy. They traveled well during the 6 hour drive home and they seemed to adjust well to their new home. They were eating out of my hand in two days (see avatar). About 7 weeks after they arrived at our farm, 2 became ill with symptoms that looked like classic Marek's disease. Gray eyes, blindness, wing and leg paralysis. I took them to our state animal lab an hour away for necropsy and Marek's lesions and tumors were confirmed after extensive testing beyond the positive given by the vaccinations. We are fortunate to only lose two (Olive Egger and Black Orpington) up to this point. So far the rest are looking good, but I know it could surface again at any time. We are not blaming CSP, the disease could have come from anywhere...our neighbors flocks, the birds and wildlife that visit our property, from our older flock, carried in by us or just on the wind, who knows.
Anyway, all the girls have been laying for about a month and the eggs are getting larger, slowly but surely, and weigh in at about 2-2.25 oz. now. The only major disappointment we have so far is the Olive Eggers are laying plain brown eggs that look no different than our RIR. The OE themselves are nice birds but do not look like the Olive Eggers pictured on their website, they look more like an Australorp. So, we either did not get Olive Eggers or the ones we got were not bred back correctly or with the correct genes to obtain the olive eggs. Either way, they were pretty expensive pullets that did not live up to their billing. The Welsummers have great personalities and are laying beautiful dark eggs, exceeding expectations. The Blue Copper Marans is laying nice rich chocolate brown eggs as expected and the Black Copper Marans is laying slightly lighter dark brown eggs. The sussex are laying pinkish tan eggs with one laying an almost plum colored egg that is very interesting. The Ameraucanas are laying true blue eggs, not very dark and smaller than the others, but they look good in the egg basket and the girls themselves are cute and very friendly. The two roos are gorgeous, calm and have grown into good protectors of the flock.
Overall, we had a good experience with CSP, but I would order Olive Eggers from a different source next time.

We ended up ordering 16 birds, 14 raised pullets and 2 raised roos. 3-Olive Eggers, 3-Welsummers, 3-Light Sussex, 1-Blue Copper Marans, 1-Black Copper Marans and 1-Black Orpington for pullets. 1-Jubilee Orpington and 1-Coronation Sussex for roos. All were given the optional vaccination for mareks. We took a road trip to pick them up in person when they were 9-10 weeks old. We had a nice visit and Angie let us pick out the pullets from a group they had brought out to the truck in a large cage. We inspected them and they all looked healthy. They traveled well during the 6 hour drive home and they seemed to adjust well to their new home. They were eating out of my hand in two days (see avatar). About 7 weeks after they arrived at our farm, 2 became ill with symptoms that looked like classic Marek's disease. Gray eyes, blindness, wing and leg paralysis. I took them to our state animal lab an hour away for necropsy and Marek's lesions and tumors were confirmed after extensive testing beyond the positive given by the vaccinations. We are fortunate to only lose two (Olive Egger and Black Orpington) up to this point. So far the rest are looking good, but I know it could surface again at any time. We are not blaming CSP, the disease could have come from anywhere...our neighbors flocks, the birds and wildlife that visit our property, from our older flock, carried in by us or just on the wind, who knows.
Anyway, all the girls have been laying for about a month and the eggs are getting larger, slowly but surely, and weigh in at about 2-2.25 oz. now. The only major disappointment we have so far is the Olive Eggers are laying plain brown eggs that look no different than our RIR. The OE themselves are nice birds but do not look like the Olive Eggers pictured on their website, they look more like an Australorp. So, we either did not get Olive Eggers or the ones we got were not bred back correctly or with the correct genes to obtain the olive eggs. Either way, they were pretty expensive pullets that did not live up to their billing. The Welsummers have great personalities and are laying beautiful dark eggs, exceeding expectations. The Blue Copper Marans is laying nice rich chocolate brown eggs as expected and the Black Copper Marans is laying slightly lighter dark brown eggs. The sussex are laying pinkish tan eggs with one laying an almost plum colored egg that is very interesting. The Ameraucanas are laying true blue eggs, not very dark and smaller than the others, but they look good in the egg basket and the girls themselves are cute and very friendly. The two roos are gorgeous, calm and have grown into good protectors of the flock.
Overall, we had a good experience with CSP, but I would order Olive Eggers from a different source next time.
Im sorry to hear you have Marek's.. I ordered chicks from Chicken Scratch Poultry this spring and half of them have died. Fed up I just had one tested and just got my necropsy results back, yep Marek's. I of coarse don't know for sure they came infected (I didn't vaccinate) but after seeing your post I'm suspecting that's the case.

Since my last post in Sept. we have lost 2 more of the CSP pullets to Marek's, a Welsummer and the Blue Copper Marans. Also, the Black Copper Marans stopped laying and has developed deformities in her legs that are possibly Marek's tumors. I'll probably put her down and get a necropsy to make sure. My wife is convinced we brought the Marek's in from the CSP stock as we have never had any problems with our flock until just after we introduced the pullets from them in May. Can't prove it, but like you, we have our suspicions. Although they are a NPIP facility, my understanding is that Marek's is not one of the tested diseases. I have changed my stance since September as our flock has deteriorated, and overall, this has been a disappointing experience and ultimately one that will affect our chicken keeping strategy for the future.

Since my last post in Sept. we have lost 2 more of the CSP pullets to Marek's, a Welsummer and the Blue Copper Marans. Also, the Black Copper Marans stopped laying and has developed deformities in her legs that are possibly Marek's tumors. I'll probably put her down and get a necropsy to make sure. My wife is convinced we brought the Marek's in from the CSP stock as we have never had any problems with our flock until just after we introduced the pullets from them in May. Can't prove it, but like you, we have our suspicions. Although they are a NPIP facility, my understanding is that Marek's is not one of the tested diseases. I have changed my stance since September as our flock has deteriorated, and overall, this has been a disappointing experience and ultimately one that will affect our chicken keeping strategy for the future.
Im so sorry yes disappointing puts it mildly.. thank goodness I've had more good years than bad but introducing this nasty disease has definitely been a doozy. Now one of my old girls is sick and I've got to put her down. I've had her for almost 8 years... Definitely regret those chicks!

First 4 all dies of heart Mareks. All right same age ,within weeks.1 year.Though I bought different times.2 had head twitch,stayed,2 had coccidiosis.( easily cured 1 dose sulfa)Thought was fluke.A bad one.
Next 4 ,3 month later,.one arrived semi blind,obvious eye abnormalitys.,and coccidiosis.Found out many months later,they knew the blindness was Mareks.I did not.I had called after I realized Hen blind,said didn’t know,then.Vet did not know either.
Blind one,9 months later ,falling over.Mareks ,then I knew blindness cause.They admitted,then they knew.
I vaccinate everything.They we’re only second place & years used.
They said mareks is at every farm.Not true.That farm it’s pervasive,sadly.
Heartbreak with four pets dying heart attacks,tumors.I witnessed all.
Blind one recovered and is fine,after a few weeks.
Tylosin and Mobik 2x day,3 weeks.Sight got better that time ,as well.
I know she will get other things later.
The other 3 from there,ok.
The other 6 from cackle,4 years old,laying well.No signs.
They quarantines the chicks well,I amagine,as I did,the 4 year,olds,and the 1 year olds.
The 1 year olds remained 3 hours away until few months old,actually.
Csp.no employees,do not care if they get Mareks.I said,why give vacvine? They are given Mareks disease before they get immunity from vaccine.
And no,Mareks is not common,among properly quarantined vaccinated chickens.
I’m mad she contaminated my property,negligently.
Mostly,my beautiful Light Sussex hens lived a short life.,died suffering.1 semi blind,fate undetermined.I can’t say how traumatic it was,and is, for me.
They we’re so anxious to live.

update,
My beautiful lavender orphington,Flyer,from chicken scratch,has had Mareks since I got her,dies last week,almost 3 years old.Flyer loved to eat,only layer eggs now then,2 a year. Mareks I’m sure.She did jump,fly,loved raspberries,corn,was happy most of her life,luckily.
she coun not walk very well for few months.no walking few weeks,until she stopped eating,dies after spasms .terrible death.
She lived a fairly mobile life,I gave her Mobik ,anti inflammatory everyday ,since 2 of them stopped eating at a year old.Almost died.Got better until now.
I have 1 lavender,2 black orphingoons left,from Chicken scratch.
Andy,Amos,are active.Amos blind in one eye partly in other when I received.both black one came with head twitches,Mareks sign often.
amos was paralyzed 3 weeks at about 6 months, gave her Mobic,abx,she got over it.no meds now,unless she gets sick,has happened,got better.lays eggs in spring only.
wing dinger ,Flyers remaining lavender orphington friend ,is a little lonely.
Not eating as much without friend.Very active,lays eggs,though I know her Mareks is always waiting.like Andy and Amos,and Flyers.
all of my other 51/2 year olds from cackle are disease free.Vaccinated 1 day,sent to me.No exposure to any chickens ,so vaccine was effective because quarentined.they were first Chickens.Vaccine did job.They all still lay well,more in spring,again Christmas.Barred rocks,wellsummers.I did lose 1 of each at 4 years from reproductive tumors.Normal risk in healthy chickens,unfortunately.
All 8 pullets from chicken scratch different years,had Mareks ,had vaccine rendered useless by no quarentine period,from exposure to contamination everywhere At that farm.
The big take away,Vaccines always work extremely well.I know.
But,the vaccine ,Mareks ,will work only after a ten or more day quarentines,no germs in air ,anywhere.Then they are safe.
1 person seeing to all chickens.A big no no.
Pullets from chicken scratch poultry,will always have Mareks.And cocciosis.
At least Flyer made it to almost 3.The 4 light Sussex all were 11-13 months.
Their lives were a part of our family,and are all still loved,and remembered so fondly.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom