chicken sexing

Ok thank you! What should i look for that would change it into a Rooster?
Oh the place I got them from said that all egg layers would be pullets, but isn't there a 5% chance it could be wrong?

Ok thank you! What should i look for that would change it into a Rooster?
Oh the place I got them from said that all egg layers would be pullets, but isn't there a 5% chance it could be wrong?
There is always a chance that a chick was missexed. Vent sexing is done by people, and as such, there will always be degree of human error. A bright pink/red comb by 10 weeks old means cockerel. Most boys are obvious much earlier, but every now and then, a cockerel will take long to develop.

One way to tell between a male and a female are their wing feathers. On the female's she will have two rolls of wing feathers, one long and one short. For the males, all of theirs wing feathers are the same length. That is one way you could tell

One way to tell between a male and a female are their wing feathers. On the female's she will have two rolls of wing feathers, one long and one short. For the males, all of theirs wing feathers are the same length. That is one way you could tell
Feather sexing only works under a very specific set of circumstances. Most chicks can not be accurately sexed by feather development. If it were that easy, nobody would ever end up with missexed chicks.

In the last few days his legs have thickened and he is taller. Showing dominant behaviours as well. So much for my 3 hens I was sold a fortnight ago! Oh well.
Thanks for confirming :)

Back
Top Bottom