Chicken sick for 8 weeks (mystery illness)! Lemon needs help!

LemonAid

In the Brooder
Sep 5, 2021
Lemon, our beloved pet chicken, has been sick for over 8 weeks. I've tried nearly everything, but she continues to decline. No bird vets available in the area, so I really need your help!

Picture of healthy Lemon (scroll down for pictures of sick Lemon)

Pq5LlJY.jpg

Main problem: Slow crop / crop stasis, but it's far more complicated than that (keep reading)
  • Breed: Buff Orpington
  • Current Weight: 3 pounds (skin and bones)
  • Normal Weight: 4.3 pounds
  • Flock Size: 4 (first chickens I've owned)
    • All 3 other chickens 100% healthy
    • Lemon is top of the pecking order
  • No signs of injury, bleeding, trauma
  • No signs of mites/lice/fleas/parasites
  • Diet: MannaPro Organic Layer Pellets & free range foraging (bugs, grass, grit, seeds, etc)
  • Poop: Mostly liquid / diarrhea / runny (pictures below). Typically green color. No blood. Occasional cecal poops.
  • See below for details on eating, drinking, and activity level
Timeline, Symptoms, and Treatments
  • Part 1:
    • Observed vent gleet for months (didn't realize it was a problem at the time)
    • Started refusing treats (sunflower seeds, raisins, peanuts, rice)
    • Stopped laying eggs
    • Comb began to droop. Became lethargic.
    • Quarantined from other chickens indoors
    • Stopped eating and drinking. Slept most of the day.
    • Hypothesis A: Respiratory & Crop issues
      • Observations:
        • Vent gleet & feather loss near vent
        • Sour crop / crop not emptying / "doughy crop" as defined here
        • Algae/scum observed in water (cleaned immediately)
        • Firm hindquarters, flaming red skin near vent (not ascites / water belly
        • Heavy/labored breathing when lying down.
        • Comb turning darker red with purple splotches over several days.
      • Treatment:
        • VetRx 4-5x per day on nostrils via Q-tip
        • Massaging crop & tube feeding:
          • "Crop buster" as defined here (lemon juice, spices, etc)
          • Apple Cider Vinegar
          • Nutri-Drench (1ml per day)
          • Garlic water
          • Electrolyte powder
          • Oil of oregano (2 drops per day)
      • Results:
        • ✅ Breathing problems fully resolved.
        • ✅ Crop started draining
        • Tube-fed Harrison's juvenile formula 3x daily
        • ✅ Significant activity level improvement. Comb began to straighten up and return to normal color
        • ✅ Hindquarters returned to normal softness (no longer firm)
        • ✅ Skin color near vent returned to normal
    • After 1 week, her comb was 90% upright, and behavior returned to normal
    • Returned to the flock. I realize now I returned her to the flock too soon...
  • Part 2
    • 1 week later, she was still not laying eggs
    • Comb started drooping again, crop not emptying, becoming lethargic, etc
    • Quarantined from other chickens indoors
    • Hypothesis B: Internal blockage of upper digestive tract
      • Treatment:
        • Epsom salt flush
        • Molasses flush
        • Vegetable oil
        • Dulcolax stool softener
        • Kefir yogurt / probiotics
      • Results:
        • ✅ Pooping frequency increased.
        • ✅ Increased solid material in stool.
        • ❌ Minimal activity level improvement.
        • ❌ No change to comb droop.
    • Hypothesis C: Internal blockage of lower digestive tract
      • Treatment: Vegetable oil enema
      • Results:
        • ✅ Pooping frequency increased.
        • ❌ No activity level changes.
        • ❌ No comb changes.
    • Hypothesis D:Fungal infection
      • Treatment: Miconazole. 1ml, 3x per day, orally for 7 days. Also rubbed in/around vent occasionally.
      • Results: ❌No improvement
    • Hypothesis E: Worms/Parasites
      • Treatment: SafeGuard Goat Dewormer (fenbendazole 10% suspension). 3ml per gallon of water. 1-2x daily for 3 days.
      • Results: ❌No improvement
    • Hypothesis F: Salmonella / E-Coli
      • Observation:
        • LOTS of burping / crop gas
        • Wild birds bathing in chicken water dish (cleaned immediately)
        • Mice/rat droppings observed in the chicken run (actively trying to eradicate)
        • White goop appeared in front corners of eyes (not bubbles)
      • Treatment:
        • Acidified Copper Sulfate
          • 1/4 teaspoon per gallon of water for 7 days
          • Stopped treatment for 3 days
          • Restarted for 3 days at 2x concentration
          • Did I give her enough? (don't want to overdose her)
      • Results
        • ✅ Biggest overall improvement of any treatment attempted thus far
        • ✅ White goop in eyes disappeared in 1-2 days
        • ✅ Burping / crop gas ceased almost entirely
        • ✅ Poop began to solidify (nearly normal solids instead of runny)
        • ✅ Poop frequency increased to ~11 per day
        • ✅ Comb color began to change from dark red / purple splotches to the more normal, lighter red.
        • ✅ Behavior drastically improved. Highly active, started squawking more.
How is Lemon doing today?
  • Throughout all the above through today, her crop still will not fully drain
  • Her crop overfills, I induce vomiting, she feels/acts better, I give a small amount of food/water, crop partially drains, I provide more food/water, crop stops draining, and the entire cycle repeats itself every few days.
  • Vomit is increasingly strong and foul smelling
  • She is severely dehydrated (super dry comb, dry skin around vent)
  • Comb still has dark discolorations & now has small growths. Our temperature is warm (it's not frostbite), and she is isolated from other chickens (not bullying). Fowl pox?
  • She is skin and bones (lightest weight ever) at 3 pounds
  • She acts like she's starving (because she is) and tries to eat everything (bugs, roots, seeds)
  • I stop her from eating bugs, roots, seeds because these come up in her vomit (they're not being digested / reclogging her?)
  • I no longer let her forage, and only give her Harrison's formula
  • I believe I'm keeping her alive due to tube-feeding food, water, electrolytes, nutri-drench, and forced-vomiting.
    • I understand forced-vomiting is dangerous, but I felt it was the only option
Treatment Summary (everything I've tried)
I have not tried
  • Antibiotics (not sure which ones to use, nor how to obtain - No available bird vets nearby)
  • Corid (coccidiosis?)
  • Subcutaneous injection (to treat dehydration)
  • Crop bra - Tried a few times, but led to liquid coming out mouth. Lemon also seemed super uncomfortable. Should I try again?
Help needed
Pictures
  • Face / comb

mU21ZRe.jpg

O0UzhF8.jpg

Y58HWXk.jpg

• Poop
    Ranges from wet to semi-wet to more solid. Generally greenish, but may be due to Harrison's formula being green.

hxf4ChC.jpg

QgOfgGD.jpg

2Ln5fHP.jpg

• Dry skin near vent
    vQSu1On.jpg

Last edited:
Looks like Lemon has Fowl Pox. To make sure it's not wet pox look inside her mouth for a pox. Wet pox is far more serious. Because she has been in contact with other chickens assume they all have it. Their is no 100% cure for Dry Pox, but a vet may prescribe antibiotics to prevent a secondary infection. Make sure she has access to a warm area. Good luck, I hope Lemon makes it.

I'm no expert in any of this but if the crop won't empty completely and is getting more and more sour smelling it may be partially blocked. I dealt with this one time and also did force vomiting. During that, I made a smoothie of scrambled eggs, vitamins, electrolytes and water to feed as that would be easy to get down. I would add a little yogurt or monistat to help keep her crop from getting more sour. You can show her to drink food and use the water in the crop for vomiting to help flush out out.

@fisherlady has dealt with a crop blockage before and did crop surgery with good results. Maybe she'll pop in here.

Last edited:
I will tag some members that will be able to help you.
@Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock @azygous
You are doing an AMAZING job! The spread of information you have here and all the research you've done is incredibly helpful. I'm confident that the members will be able to take all of that info and give you a diagnosis. Incredible job, it is truly spectacular all of the info you have here, great job. Hopefully we can get Lemon on the road to recovery soon. She is in very good hands. :):hugs

My heart goes out to you for persevering in your treatments trying to find something that will work. Coincidentally, I also have a hen with all of these issues, and I've tried all you've tried plus two courses of Corid for possible coccidiosis and antibiotics. Like you, I'm frustrated and heart broken that nothing has worked.

My hen is eight years old, one of my absolute favorites and the feeling is mutual. She seems to be as attached to me as I am to her. I also have an avian virus in my flock - lymphoid leucosis. Most of my flock manage to develop and maintain resistance to the virus, many living to advanced years, the oldest being thirteen.

I have been noticing that my hen seems to be constantly searching for grit. She doesn't have an impacted crop, but she has been struggling with sour crop and stasis. What I fear now that I've tried all the treatments, including two rounds of two different antibiotics, is that she has tumors causing blockages. It's really the only diagnosis left for my hen.

I am leaning toward that diagnosis for your hen, as well. If it's not tumors, your hen may be laying internally, setting up similar blockages that can cause the crop issues she's been having.

By trying any and all applicable treatments, you and I have both ruled out many possible diagnoses, so what is left after that boils down to a blockage of some sort, and since it didn't respond to the treatments you tried for blockages caused by the obvious things, the blockage is then likely something on the order of abnormal cell growth which can cause severe weight loss and dehydration.

I am so sorry you and Lemon are dealing with this. You have done everything possible, it seems. I applaud your fastidiousness.

I will only add that I had a hen who was similarly ill for weeks. She eventually passed in her sleep. I sent her to be necropsied, and it was a raging case of salpingitis.

I'll also add that if I had known how sick she was sooner, I would have put her down much sooner and not let her suffer for so long. I'm not suggesting you do the same. I just thought you should know that there may be other things going on that aren't obvious, like internal infections, reproductive disorders, tumors. Chickens are so good at hiding illness as a way of avoiding predation in the wild.

I really hope Lemon starts to show improvement and she isn't as sick as my Magnolia was. I'm sending love and positive thoughts your way! ❤❤❤

Last edited:
Lemon Log: Day 57
  • Over the past 24 hours:
    • No weight change
    • No activity level change
    • No forced vomiting required
    • 11 bowel movements
  • Treatment yesterday:
    • Tube feeding 1: Water, probiotic powder, electrolyte powder, oil of oregano, Nutri-Drench
    • Tube feeding 2: Water, probiotic powder, electrolyte powder, oil of oregano, 1.5 tsp Harrison's food
  • Crop size:
    • Size at bedtime: 1.5 golf balls
    • Size this morning: 0.5 golf balls
Expert Opinion
  • I emailed several poultry experts at universities for their opinion. One reply received thus far from a poultry vet: "When I do autopsies on birds with these symptoms, the typical 2 diagnoses are: 1) bacterial peritonitis with plus or minus oviduct infection. Their abdomen is full of pus, they don’t feel good and stop eating. Depends on the initial bacteria if contagious to the flock — Salmonella and pasteurella can be contagious. 2) Cancer - adenocarcinoma — the cancer masses are everywhere in the internal organs, especially on ovary, oviduct and intestines. Cause intestine walls start to thicken (cancer masses) and the lumen gets smaller and then the intestines start knotting up into a ball and no or very little feed can get through at all. They slowly starve to death. No treatment. There can be other reasons too and I never know until I open up the bird. Not coccidia alone — that causes enteritis and diarrhea. Does not cause crop stoppage. Not pox."
New Hypotheses
  • Ok team, we have 5 new hypotheses - Let's explore them together! 🕵️‍♂️🔍
  • Below, ✅ indicates Lemon has this symptom. ❌ indicates Lemon does not have this symptom
  • Hypothesis G: Salpingitis (inflammation of the oviduct) / oviduct infection
    • Literature:
      • "early infection may cause egg binding / symptoms similar to egg binding"
      • "hens die within 6 months of infection"
      • "generally results from a bacterial infection"
    • Symptoms:
      • ❌ Laying abnormal or malformed eggs
      • ❌ Distended abdomen (Lemon had a firm-ish hindquarters many weeks ago, but definitely not distended)
      • ❌ Standing with a “penguin-like” posture
      • ❌ Difficulty walking or perching
      • ❌ Damaged vent, leaking urates
      • ✅ Decreased egg production (Lemon went from almost-daily production to 0 egg production ~overnight)
      • ✅ Depression/Lethargy
      • ✅ Reduced appetite
    • Conclusion: Unlikely, given quite a few key symptoms above do not match Lemon.
  • Hypothesis H: Lymphoid leucosis (tumors caused by a virus)
    • Literature:
      • "becomes very susceptible to other infections"
      • "virus is not transmitted through the air"
    • Symptoms:
      • ❌ Bloodblisters on skin
      • ✅ Loss of appetite
      • ✅ Weakness
      • ✅ Dehydration
      • ✅ Depression
      • ✅ Weight loss
      • ✅ Reduced egg production
      • ✅ Dry/shriveled comb (sometimes purple)
      • ✅ Greenish diarrhea / bile
    • Conclusion: Plausible, given Lemon has nearly all of these symptoms. However, this is a "vertically transmitted" virus (mother-to-chick, rooster-to-hen, bites, etc). Not sure how Lemon could've picked up a virus, given my 3 other hens are 100% healthy and never exposed to other chickens? Perhaps Lemon got this virus from misc neighborhood birds?
  • Hypothesis I: Fowl pox
    • Symptoms:
      • ❓Small white pimple-like bumps thickening into yellow warts on comb/wattles that crust over leaving scabs
      • ✅ Reduced egg production
    • Conclusion: Unlikely. Doesn't quite match Lemon... Black dots appear on tips of comb, which later transition to white. 3 small yellow bumps appeared which then turned white. Additionally, the vet I emailed above says "not pox." Inside of Lemon's mouth matches "normal" pictures online, so she doesn't match symptoms of "wet" fowl pox.
  • Hypothesis J: Bacterial peritonitis / egg peritonitis
    • The vet I emailed above says:
      • "they don’t feel good and stop eating." Lemon stopped accepting treats many weeks ago, but she still goes crazy for worms, black soldier flies, tomatoes, etc.
      • If the initial bacteria is "salmonella and pasteurella," it can be contagious. The other 3 chickens are 100% healthy.
    • Symptoms:
      • ❌ Frequent multiple yolked eggs
      • ❌ Yellow-orange droppings
      • ❌ Wide based stance or penguin stance
      • ❌ History of misshapen or soft eggs
      • ❌ Broody
      • ❌ Ascites / water belly / distended abdomen
      • ❌ Respiratory distress (Lemon had some breathing difficulty many weeks ago, but no respiratory issues now)
      • ❌ Lack of vocalization (Lemon is still talkative)
      • ✅ Reduced egg production / No egg production
      • ✅ Weight loss
      • ✅ Depression
      • ✅ Weakness / lethargy
    • Conclusion: Plausible, but seems unlikely given Lemon doesn't match many symptoms above.
  • Hypothesis K: Cancer/adenocarcinoma
    • The vet I emailed above says:
      • "intestine walls start to thicken." Lemon went from laying eggs every/other day to 0 eggs ~overnight (not a slow, gradual decline over weeks). Lemon's sudden halt in production seems a bit acute for slow/steady tumor growth?
    • Symptoms:
      • ❌ Ascites / water belly / distended abdomen
      • ❌ History of egg binding or laying abnormal eggs (soft-shelled, shell-less, etc). Lemon was maybe egg-bound once 3.5 months ago (no eggs for ~4 days, then egg found well outside the egg box).
      • ❌ Respiratory distress. Lemon had some breathing difficulty many weeks ago, but no respiratory issues now.
      • ❌ Pasting of vent. Lemon had vent gleet early on, but not anymore.
      • ❌ Wide based stance or penguin stance
    • Conclusion: Plausible. None of the symptoms match, but marking as "plausible" because a poultry vet suggested it.
Replies to Posts
  • "her beak does look over grown" - Lemon has been inside for ~7 weeks, so she hasn't been "griding it down" searching for food outside. Thanks for the tip! I'll clip it.
  • "The spread of information you have here and all the research you've done is incredibly helpful" - Thank you! The best outcome from this post is that we 1) cure Lemon and 2) help other chickens in need!
Thank you all for the warm welcome and kind words - It's nice to not feel alone :) We have a wonderful community here! Special thanks to @Aunt Angus @azygous @Weeg @Madhouse Pullet @OneMountainAcres @InterestingChickens for providing feedback!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom