Chicken sitting on and dragging her bum! 3 months old..

RusticDreamer

Chirping
7 Years
Mar 16, 2012
Shreveport, LA
*** HELP PLEASE ***

I have a 3 month old buff dragging her rear end. We noticed about 3 days ago, my hubby was wondering why it was 'sitting' like that...I said, no, something is wrong with her! She literally looks like she is sitting down and when she walks she drags her rear end, almost like a penguin walk. She straightened up a little yesterday, and I thought it sorted itself out, but she was dragging/waddling again today. She can't be eggbound because she isn't old enough to lay yet, none of her siblings are laying, they are all the same age.

Anyone have any idea why she would be doing this? I've never seen a chicken do that? I have inspected her bum and I don't see anything abnormal, no wounds, swelling, redness or anything! She is eating and drinking fine and seems to be going potty regularly and it looks like all of the others, no diarrhea....I've felt her legs and moved her joints and it doesn't seem to bother her so I don't think it's her legs. Any advice would be great!

thanks!

Sorry no one else answered your post. Is she able to walk or does she just seem to want to scratch? Has anything changed since you posted? Does she have any unusual odor?

I am providing these links for people, though I dont know if they will help in your case...

Chicken illness links

Excellent descriptions and symptom chart at the end:
http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/ps044

Common stuff, good article
http://www.motherearthnews.com/sustainable-farming/chicken-diseases-and-treatment-zmaz74zhol.aspx

You could always give her a warm soak with epsom salts if nothing else.... Good luck

I really hate to post this but, look at threads on Marek's Disease. It sounds like it could be the problem.

She walks fine, although, waddles more, like a penguin, if she can't get somewhere fast enough, she flies, but just barely. She doesn't seem to mind being picked up, doesn't 'seem' to be in pain, eats/drinks fine, hangs out with other girls, no odor, nothing unusual on her bum. I'll check about the Mareks...she's the buff in the foreground...that's how she stands all day!! :(

Back
Top Bottom