Chicken Snake!!!!

Here is a picture of my wife and I in China we are picking out one of our dishes we will have with our supper. It weighed one pound they prepared it over lotus leaves with ginger, mushrooms and green pepper and some other ingredients. Yes it had the skin on it, a few people have asked when I have shown them this picture it was very good.

China07-5.jpg

It happened again.:eek: I go out this morning to let the girls out. I go into the first little room, where my brooder is, and I see all my little chicks, 3 weeks old, at one end, I look at the other end and there lays another snake. I open the door and reach in and grab him.:mad::mad: When I hold him up I can tell he has a large area midway down. I look at my chicks and see that one of my brown leghorns is gone. When he ate her, he was too fat to get back out the chicken wire. I am trying the sulphur this evening, and I may put some 1/4 inch mesh around the brooder.

Any other suggestions?

Ok, you are freaking me out. I may not be able to handle this chicken thing? I may have to keep them in the house forever, ha ha. I am not kidding. I can't stand the thought of a snake. And I not touching one, I don't care what kind it is. There has to be a way to keep them away. And Barnyard, I won't be eating any kind of snake either. No way!!!

Marie

Leghorns are just naturally dippy...
wink.png

Did the snake eat an adult bird or a chick?
How did the one with the upside down head make out?
Snakes are notorious for getting into small places. I had a Saharan Sand Boa go up my sleeve down my back and out through my pants leg...interesting let me tell you...
Definitely try the mesh.
Sorry about your snakes...
If it makes you feel any better, raccoons eat snakes...but that's just trading one problem for another...
I got bit by a crabby Ball Python today, so right now, I'd have no problem eating him;)

Well, I don't like racoons, but I can deal with them better than snakes. And they can't get into tiny places where I can't see them coming. I can't do snakes...

Marie

He/she ate a 3 week old chick.

The one with the head problem, got worse, so I put her down.

I know the snakes are just doing what they do, but if I can keep them from getting my chicks I am. I wouldn't mind them if they would eat the mice. I would let them stay. I even thought about building a cage and buying a couple of rats from the pet store, maybe they would go in there first eat a rat, then I could protect my chicks. I hate killing them, they are just doing what nature made them to do, but I must.

Ok, as my wife says this is getting creepy. I put down the sulphur. However, after dark I was going and checking on them every hour. A little after 12 I go in and see the tail of ANOTHER snake, he is climbing up one of the posts, heading to the coop. I grab his tail, drag him out and wack him with a machete. There were no more the rest of the night. This is getting crazy though. I never saw one until I put my little one out. That is three snakes in 4 days. They are getting much smaller though. To make matter worse me and the wife walked down to our pond, I wanted to show her where I had mowed all around it, and we nearly step right on a 3 foot water mocassin. Oh well I guess when you live in the country you have to share your space.

Ok, I have got to stop reading this post. I am getting creeped out too. I did not have chickens before, but I have goats and I am out there at the barn and in their pens all the time and I have not seen the first snake. My DH saw one once when he was moving some boards that had been laying on the ground and he was cleaning them up. Not sure what kind it was, we are neither one snake folks. We live in the country and he grew up with animals and so forth, but can't stand a snake. maybe they don't like goats, maybe all the walking around and noise they make keeps the snakes back?? maybe the smell??? Maybe having my chickens in with the goats will help with a possible snake problem? I sure hope so. Or I will just die.

Marie

Someone told me a long long time ago to sprinkle moth balls around the coop area. They said snakes will not cross over them. I never tried it so don't know if it works.

Back
Top Bottom